Acceleration

Has anyone looked into using this product,

to improve build time?

Would there be any advantages?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

I can't speak specifically about this product but I do use RAID arrays and previously RAMDISKs to improve performance and they do work. Looking at this product I would think there is a good chance that it would help. Let me know the results if you try it.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

this

know

Reply to
Symon

Hi Martin,

A faster storage device is only useful if you are disk I/O limited. There should not be a significant amount of time spent on disk access (in Quartus, at least) provided that you have sufficient physical memory for the design being compiled. If your computer is thrashing (swapping to disk frequently), then the easiest solution is more RAM. If it isn't thrashing, then I'm afraid you'll be limited by CPU speed.

- Paul

Reply to
Paul Leventis (at home)

Quartus,

Right. I knew that to be the case. We are using 2 gigs of RAM on the compile machines, which seems to be enough to avoid any significant disk I/O. I was hoping that there would be a little gem of a trick somewhere to take advantage of this sort of technology.

-Martin

Reply to
Martin Euredjian