Using Nokia ACP-7 PSU to power other device

I want to match a small mains adaptor to a small hand-held whisk.

Normally the whisk is battery powered (AA x 2) and has a variable speed. At its max I would like to run the whisk a little bit faster than the internal batteries permit. So I figure I could replace the two AA cells with a mains adaptor feeding approx 4V.

I came across the basic Nokia mobile phone mains adaptor (which used to be supplied as standard with Nokia phones). It's nothing fancy: no switched mode or high speed charging or any of that. This is Nokia model ACP-7X (X for the UK where I am) with a spec of 230 V, 50 Hz, 4.8 VA. Output 3.7 V, 355 mA.

HOWEVER ... when I measure the voltage across the output of the PSU it measures about 9V with no load. Don't know a whole lot about regulated/unregulated PSU's but I guess this is pretty unregulated if it goes from 9V to 3.7V.

Would it be LIKELY that the voltage would come down to about 4 V when I attach my whisk? The whisk has a resistence of about 250 ohms. When I measure the resistence of the Nokia when it's not attached to the mains, I get infinity.

So would this ACP-7 be safe to use? Or would it deliver well above 4v and blow the motor in my whisk?

Reply to
Lem

Raising the voltage does not automatically increase the speed. At least not where I am from. Raising the voltage will lower the amount of current needed for the motor. Until you burn it out. If you want it to go faster then your going to have to (probably) get a bigger motor and change the gearing. Just changing the gearing will probably result in a motor failure, very soon.

Reply to
SQLit