Tek 2465A diff amp nonlinearity

When I feed a 1V sine wave into both ch1 and ch2 of my Tek 2465A, and set it to display the difference (invert ch2 and add the channels), I do not see the expected flat line. Rather, there are some bumps.

So, I presume this means that one or both input amps are not quite linear.

My questions are:

  1. How much nonlinearity should I expect, in a working and well-tuned 2465A?

  1. Anybody got any pointers to where in the service manual I should look, for diagnostics and troubleshooting of this? (The service manual I have is a not-so-good photocopy so it's very hard to search through without at least a head start, and I haven't spent much time with it.)

  2. If I wanted to buy a used differential instrumentation amplifier, ideally with bandwidth >= 100MHz, ground-referred common mode range >= +/-15V, input-referred wideband noise = 20, is there a "classic" model that I should search for? (Sort of like the 2465 'scopes are a "classic" - something that would be easy to find used, easy to find a manual for, and that would be pretty reliable.)

Thanks!

-walter

Reply to
Walter Harley

Have you tried to play with the var.gain at both channels to match the gain of them exactly? At what frquency did you do this? (Phase match maybe...) And at what V/Div of the Channels did you do this measurement? Did you raise the input sensivity to see that behaviour and maybe overdriven the input amplifiers? (The "cancelation" of the signals by "inverted adding" is done after a few amplifier stages which can of course saturate than and can do this in different matter (overdriven Amplifiers are not specified exept the recovery time)

Just a few ideas.

Jorgen dj0ud

Reply to
Jorgen Lund-Nielsen

"Jorgen Lund-Nielsen" wrote in message news:dcskj8$u2q1$ snipped-for-privacy@claire.desy.de...

Yes - sorry, maybe I should have been more detailed. The residual is not a sine wave, so it is not just a phase or amplitude discrepancy. It looks as if the two channels track well over most of the input range but have differences at several small, distinct ranges. So the residual is a flat line with a couple of triangular spikes at irregular locations

Something low, like 1kHz.

I think I did that initially and then realized it and backed off and still saw the problem. But let me re-check and make sure that wasn't what was happening.

Thanks, -walter

Reply to
Walter Harley

"Walter Harley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

The manual should have the common mode rejection ratio specs. The input of the 2445/65 series is not intended to be equal to a true differential amp. TEK still makes differential amps for their scopes,probably listed under accessories.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Well, I must have been doing something funky, because now it's not doing it at all - it's behaving just fine. The only distortion is from clipping, and even that only when I crank the gain way up.

Thanks anyway...

Reply to
Walter Harley

I see a lot of diffamp plugins, but the only standalone diff amp I see popping up on eBay is the P6046 differential probe.

Looking at the pictures, I don't quite understand how that probe is supposed to work - it looks sort of like the spacing between the two input pins is fixed?? I was envisioning something that would have inputs for two separate probes, rather than something that had a single probe with two pins. I want to be able to do things like comparing signals at various points on the left and right channel of a stereo amp.

Thanks, -walter

Reply to
Walter Harley

"Walter Harley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

look at TEK's website;

Yes.

I do not see what use a differential probe would be for that use? What useful info do you expect to get from it? No stereo amp will be matched any better than the ordinary non-differential scope inputs inverted and added. And you would have to feed the -same- signal to both channels.

BTW,some other company(not TEK) used to make a power supply/"mainframe" to allow one to use a 7A22 or 7A13 differential plug-in as a standalone instrument,with a single-ended 50ohm output BNC to feed a regular scope input.I can't recall the specific company,though.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Walter,

as Jim mentioned: The P6046 probe alone won'T help much. This probe is designedto work with a diff amp unit like the 7A13 or the 7A22 or similar. The 2465A scope definetely has no such input. So if you really need to do differential masurements: A 7A13 with a 7313/7603/7613 mainframe will get you more out for the solution.With the siganl through output of the 7xxx-scope you can still connect to your 2465A - but I guess that's only necessary if you wantthe cursor meas to do ;-)

hth, Andreas

Reply to
tekamn

"tekamn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

No,it's not. It can work with any single-ended scope input.