Spectrum Analyzer vs. Field Strength Analyzer

I am looking for a handheld Spectrum Analyzer BK2650 (Link1 below) or Field Strength Analyzer Protek 3290 (Link2). The problem is that I cannot see the major differences between them, yet there's a major price difference of $1000-2000. Can anyone tell me what the major differences between a spectrum analyzer and Field Strength Analyzer? Is it in demodulation ways, sweep speed, display freq span, or some extra stuff that I do not need as an amateur/electronics hobbyist? Thanks.

Reference pictures:

Link1

Link2

J Autt

Spectrum Analyzer An instrument which displays the frequency spectrum of an input signal, usually amplitude vertical vs. frequency horizontal.

Field Strength Analyzer Practical field-strength measurements call for an analyzer that is portable yet powerful. The model 3290 RF Field Strength Analyzer from PROTEK Test and Measurement (Allendale, NJ) is a handheld instrument that contains not only a full-featured spectrum analyzer capable of measurements from 100 kHz to

2.9 GHz, but also a sensitive frequency counter, a host of demodulators, and the choice of operating on batteries, AC, or vehicle DC power.

Reference

Regards, Erwin snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
News

Field-strength measurements call for an analyzer that is portable and *sensitive* (NOT "powerful"; this is not a transmitter for moon bounce!).

Reply to
Robert Baer

We have both models on sale. Please see:

or

Thanks Evan

Evan Cirelli

By "powerful" in advertising literature they probably mean lots of filtering/display options, connectivity, DSP functionality, that kind of thing.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Just curious (and I apologize for reincarnating a thread that's almost a month old) but did you take the plunge on either of the instruments? I'm tempted by the 3290 and wondered if you got it and what your thoughts were.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to