Possible damage to computer and TV after installation by Comcast Subcontractors

Moved into a new house (3 years old) and had an appointment to get Comcast Cable TV and High Speed Internet installed.

Comcast sent subcontractors to do the job. In the cable box OUTSIDE the house (a green enclosure) they found that the tap that goes into my house is broken so they put a splitter on the neighbors cable line, so both me and the neighbor now share the cable connection.

After few hours the computer goes dead. It does not power on at all. The PC is located upstairs and is plugged into a surge protector along with the monitor. The monitor is working fine.

After few hours the downstairs Sony Wega goes blank and there is sound and no picture. A red light in front of the TV is blinking which according to the manual "TV needs service. Contact Sony service center". The TV was plugged in to a good surge protector also.

My question is as follows: .is this a coincidence that I lose both a computer and TV the same day cable tv installation is done... all in a matter of few hours?

OR

Can faulty cable tv / high speed cable Internet installation cause damage to the computer and television?

thanks,

John

Reply to
John Smith

How's your neighbors tv and computer doing?

Reply to
Robert Morien

I was starting to buy the coincidence until I read down to the TV failing. Has anything happened to the neighbor's appliances? I would start by getting a TV diagnosis telling them what might be related.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Couldn't find the orginal message so i will tack this one. i have seen that before. neighbor has a ground fault problem between his outlet and TV/Cable box set. possibly a miss wired outlet surging about 220v up the line at the correct moments. cable company should not put him on a direct connection to the neighbors line, it should have been Decoupled/isolated other than RF.

Reply to
Jamie

Might want to disconnect the neighbors cable & grab a DMM to see if there's an AC voltage{ & current?} diff between your box/neighbors cable ( test both shield/ground & center conductor). {I've seen 120 VAC, 120 mA between my old fridge & the kitchen sink!}

Reply to
fecal control unit

Yikes, sounds like you had a grounding issue in your house's wiring, that could be a dangerous situation.

Reply to
James Sweet