Old Heathkit O-11 Smokes.

I picked up an old heathkit O-11 at a garage sale for a few bucks. It seems to work but makes a slight sizzling sound and after being on for a few minutes emitts smoke. I think it is the caps in the power supply. Does anybody know if these units can be rehabed?

Reply to
Cyber Vagrant

Well, sort-of. One, use your nose and eyes and see if you can locate the stinky part (do not turn it on). Usually the electrolytics need either forming or replacement; prolly too late to try re-forming. It is possible the problem is in the transformer, which is special - it has a rather high voltage winding for the CRT, as i remember. That winding has a tendency to break down, which results in what you discovered (but ther may be other reasons for the smoke). If the transformer is definitely the stinky part, then it is a very good bet that HV winding is bad. If you took the transformer laminations off, thenyou may get a better look to find out if that winding is the outer-most one. If so, then one could replace it, using better materials. Count the turns per layer for the first 2 or 3 layers, and the number of layers for the total turns. You can use thin mylar tape for insulation in place wher paper was used when you re-wind. When the transformer in my O-1 when bad, i ordered a replacement transformer from Heath (the O-1 was a kit still being sold then). Be advised that this project would be useful only for re-habilitation for working antique sales or other profitable purposes. The O-1, while better than a number of the other inexpensive kits and scopes at that time, you can get far better (used) scopes now for a cost less than the time involved for restoration.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Reforming, that's when you use a variac and warm up the unit at a lower voltage for a while?

CV

Reply to
Cyber Vagrant

The large Astron can cap seems to have leaked. It's rated at 40mfd,

20mfd, 20mfd and 50mfd at 450 ,450, 450 and 300VDC respectively. When I turned it on, the first and only time. A green dot appeared on the tube and the controls seemed to affect it properly. Anybody want it for parts? Make me an offer :)
Reply to
Cyber Vagrant

Aye-Yup! And crank up slowly.

Reply to
Robert Baer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com mentioned...

Some of the caps are over a thousand volts. They're filtering for the tube's high voltage.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

I'd stick with paper, if the proper kind is used it would be better for a transformer that's in hot tube equipment.

Really. And they won't be using toobs. One thing that could be donw is if the high V winding is the problem and the rest of the transformer works okay, then use a tripler or more for the high V.

--
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
Subject: line with other stuff.  alondra101  hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

The problem is, that there are shorted turns in the transformer - which will mwke it overheat. So one should *not* use it!

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have seen a lot of these old Heath, Eico and RCA tube scopes with a separate filament transformer added because the insulation was breaking down in the original transformer, and people used them daily, for years.

--
9 days!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The transformer in the Heath supplys everything, and if the CRT HV winding goes, then it needs replacement or re-winding.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert, i have disconnected the separate 6.3 volt winding from the CRT and replaced it with a separate transformer and had it work quite a few times. I've done it to Heath, Eico, RCA, and other brands. It depends on the problems in the original transformer, but its a lot better than trashing a scope if you don't have another to replace it with.

--
8 days!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, like i said, there are a number of windings on the power transformer, and all of the failures i saw and/or experienced were related to the CRT high voltage winding. If there was arcing in any of the HV windings, or arc-over to any other winding, it is not safe to use the transformer without complete repair/replacement. Now, if (somehow) a filament winding fails open, *then* your strategy is acceptable.

Reply to
Robert Baer