HP PS Pilot Lite Dead, Convert?

Well, the first of the HP 6216A PSes I got off Ebay arrived, and the only apparent thing wrong with it is the pilot lite id burned out. It's a 125V lamp inside a 5/16" plastic sleeve that is press-fit into the faceplate. It came out easily, but I have to do some surgery to the plastic sleeve to get inside.

I was thinking that I might be able to find a replacement 125V incandescent lamp that would fit inside the 1/4" inside diameter plastic sleeve, roughly the same size as the body of a cheap Bic ballpoint pen. I would imagine that it was very low current, maybe only a quarter watt total dissipation. From pics I've seen, I'm fairly certain it wasn't a neon light. If I can't find a lamp, I think what I want to do is replace it with a regular LED, but instead of having it connected across the xfmr primary, I'd steal some current from the secondary's rectified and filtered DC. I know I can't get a LED, rectifier and resistor inside the sleeve and keep the power dissipation that low using the 120VAC.

I bought a manual for ten bucks from Ed Matsuda, but it will arrive next week. I believe it has a schematic. I would like to make sure the supply I'm tapping into won't mind a bit more current. It might affect regulation or something. I was wondering what others have done in the same situation.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Can you post a picture of the pilot light on A.B.S.E?

--
18 days!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Once you have the service information, you should be able to see what type of lamp it is, and order the original one. This way you will have a proper repair.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG ========================================= WebPage

Electronics

[...]

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Jerry G.

I just took a pic, I'll post it in a minute.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mentioned...

That thought had occurred to me. But the PS only cost $25, and a replacement lamp would eventually burn out again. Besides, I thought the look of a blue or turquoise LED would be really cool, and last forever. I won a bid on another 6216A, which will be arriving this week. It will likely have the same problem, a burned out pilot lite. I also bid on a 6214B, probably get that next week. Same story.

With that many almost identical looking PSes close to each other, I figured it would be nice to give them each a distinctive look by using different colored LEDs for each one.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Radio Shack sells a small neon lamp that would fit in a 1/4" hole. It is 125vac, has two lead wires, and the case is also the lens. The barrel is threaded for a small nut and washer. The top of the lens sticks out about 1/4".

StayHi

Reply to
StayHi

StayHi: I would not re-invent the wheel here....... just install the Radio Shack neon panel lamp (125V with built in resistor) and hook er up to the transformer primary ..... using the same wires that the burnt out 125V incandescent lamp used. No drilling, no fuss, no mess.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

Reply to
Sofie

In article , snipped-for-privacy@olypen.com mentioned...

Well, so far no drilling, no fuss, no muss, and it now has a blue LED. I received the manual for the PS (with schematic and parts list), so I have something to guide me. One thing I noticed was that the pilot light was connected to a pin on the transformer, this pin had no other wires connected to it. I looked in the schematic, and I saw that the primary consists of two windings, designed to be connected in series for 230VAC, and in parallel for 115VAC. Well, accodring to the schem, the pin with the pilot lite is unconnected, so that the whole unit is being fed AC thru a single winding. The winding with the pilot lite is acting like a secondary winding and driving just the pilot lite! I don't know if this was a factory goof - they forgot and left out the jumper, or if it was supposed to be that way. The PS still operates...