HP 54645D data cable question

Hi,

I've acquired a used HP 54645D MSO (2 ch oscilloscope, 16 ch data, 100 Mhz) without data cables. I've used oscilloscopes before but never a logic analyzer.

THE PROBLEM: the original data cables were HP 10089A, which are unavailable (new or used). The kind folks at Agilent will sell me a suitable replacement new for $500 +. But they refuse to give me more information on older parts that might also work - which I might be able to find used.

Can someone who is familiar with this unit please tell me what I can use for data cables.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
david

Your best bet is to look for them on EBay, where stuff like this comes up regularly.

I've found it a useful practice never to buy the logic analyzer without the probes, unless the price is so cheap that the cost of the probes still makes it reasonable.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

Harvey,

I've been looking for 6 months on eBay, and everywhere else on the net. I've seen tons of probes come up, but never a 10089A.

I bought the scope as a 2 channel oscilloscope - the data part was an extra. But I've been looking for the probes in case I needed them. And now I do.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me which ones might be compatible with my scope.

I'm very confused by what I see on eBay. For example, could you look at this item:

and give me a general idea what the different pods and clock designations are for? Do I need "pods" in addition to my cable or is "pod" a generic term for a cable.

All I want to do is look at 12 TTL level signals, triggering on (line 1 AND line 4). I thought a simple 16 channel cable with leads would suffice. I can't imagine what makes this so expensive at only 100 MHz.

Thank you, David

Mhz)

unavailable

on

for

Reply to
david

Shouldn't be too hard to make something up. The original leads have 90K resistors in series with each signal at the probe end, and the connector is a standard 40 way IDC type receptacle. There are no components in the little pods at the end of the woven cables where the probes plug in.

The only tricky thing is the cable itself. If you just used some ribbon cable, and put 90K R's in series with the probe clips, it would work, but high-frequency performance would probably not be as good. I don't know if the 90K is standard for all HP analysers - if so you could probably cannibalise the probes from a more readily available cable.

I just dug out my old HP 1650 analyser - one of the cables from this works fine on my 54645D - the plug could do with a little 'surgery' to make it fit deeper into the connector on the scope but the probes are also 90K and it seems to work just fine. I'd imagine 1650 probe/cable sets are more readily available, especially as each

1650 comes with five of them. I'd say if you see a HP cable with a 40 pin connector going cheap, it's worth taking the chance.

I'm sure you could find a complete 1650 with leads for less than the $500 HP want for a new set....!

Reply to
Mike Harrison

On that, I cannot help you. My logic analyzer is a different model, much earlier, and takes different pods.

Which is why I (because my situation was reversed, needed the logic analyzer, scope was a plus) made sure I got the probes.... sorry about that.

probably only those probes.

Pod is a generic term for cable. as you are using it.

To reduce circuit loading, there's active circuits in the pod, which is connected to your logic analyzer by the cable, which generally has an odd (and probably hard to find) connector on the other end. On the circuit end, you have a clip which goes into the pod, and on the other end of that clip, you need to have a small socket that goes over wire wrap pins, onto test clips, or has a removable grabber on the end for clipping onto parts.

The pod is responsible for the logic levels to internal conversion and proper design is not a simple thing, especially at higher speeds.

Pods generally can have data or clock leads. Data leads are just that, which run to the data channels, clock leads qualify the data, or time it, and run to the clock channels.

The number of clock leads, how they are positioned, data leads, how they are positioned, vary with the analyzer. There are 5 pods here, looks like a complete set, which probably gives you at least 8 data channels and one clock channel per pod.

They are custom, and are not made in large quantities. These generally end up going for about 100 USD each, depending on type, and how frantic people are to get them.

It might be that your probes are too new to show up as surplus. Have you done a google search on them?

Yours is a 16 channel (2x8 probe).

A google search comes up with the following:

at least.

Price seems to be about 300 dollars for the two I looked at.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

I saw those ads too. I tried to order them, but was told they're discontinued and no stock. I've gotten plenty of quotes, but when they go to place the order at Agilent it's a no go.

Guess I'll keep on looking for a used set or try to modify one for a 1650 as Mike suggested.

I appreciate your help on this.

Thanks, David

extra.

do.