How to clean old electronic equipment

Hi Groups,

I'm not sure this is appropriate for this group. I just got one vintage HP Function generator. It produce very bad odor all around. I tracked the source of this to be from bad NI-CD batteries leakage. I tried clean it with few type of the cleaner spray I have but it still smell very bad. It seem that the odor stick very well with the vinyl.

Thanks, Ixon

Reply to
ixon

The best cleaner is water, possibly with some alcohol content too. If it was a bad leak you may need to get it quite wet to remove all the crud but be be careful where the dirty water goes because it can then re-contaminate other bits. Lots of flowing water is sometimes best so as to keep the nasty chemicals you're removing well diluted.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore