Corrosion on battery terminals of chess computer

And that answer would be???? GG

Reply to
stratus46

Hi again

I've just bought a second-hand chess computer and have found corrosion on the battery terminals, due to battery leakage.

One of the terminals is green, it's that bad.

The unit is very expensive. The terminal is fairly large and is for a 'C' size battery.

Should I use steel wool? or CLR? (Calcium Lime Rust)? to clean the terminal?

Is it possible to clean, or clean and coat this terminal for decent conductivity?

I have an ac adaptor but would like to use batteries on occasion also.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Reply to
Darren

Sorry I found the answer.

Darren

Reply to
Darren

Any advice below is provided at your own risk and you should consult professionals in electronics, chemistry, medicine, bio-mechanics and a certain Space Administration first.

Although I'm still researching the solution, here's what I've found out so far...

Don't use steel wool or anything that will leave conductive particles behind.

You can use:

Fine sandpaper to clean the contacts, although be careful with the contacts, as they may be fragile. I seem to remember something about rubbing the metal surface off, which was a concern, but if the contacts are copper? may be fine.

If the corrosion is foamy or more extreme, then dab hydrogen peroxide on cotton buds? and clean the corrosion over one or more sessions (be careful, do so at own risk, consult professionals first, don't do it if you're going to sue anyone!, use appropritate protective wear for skin and breathing??).

If you know what you're doing and have read the disclaimer above, you can remove the contacts and soak them in the hydrogen peroxide apparently. (I'm not.)

If the contacts are just a bit dull, you can use and eraser...watch out for debris left behind.

What I'd like to know is how to neutralize the damage to not only prevent it from re-occuring but speading to other system components.

I'll update this info. as more info. comes to hand. I've never tried any of the above and I'm sure there are many better qualified people to help. Hopefully we'll come into contact with one or some of them.

Reply to
Darren