how to analyse a waveform?

Hi all , first post here. I'd like to make an harmonic and DC bias analysis of the waveform coming from a synthesizer's VCO; I'd like to make an analysis of the sine output , which features some extra harmonics though, but I want to get the best result possible, that is without any influencing artifact coming from the audio output. How can I do that? What tools should I use? Thx for your kind help. M

Reply to
Max Fazio

How healthy is your bank account?

At a bare minimum, an oscilloscope tops the list. To accurately measure complex waveform parameters, you need a scope with a readout to avoid interpolation and parallax evaluation errors. It also makes the job much quicker. Cursor scopes are widely available now, but can be hard for some to use. Sencore scopes use a separate display apart from the crt, and I'm very fond of mine. If you want to directly compare different waveforms, you'll want a DSO (Digital Storage Oscilloscope).

A good quality spectrum analyzer can be a big help.

A tunable harmonic distortion analyzer helps measure harmonic levels. Generally, with audio gear, this is displayed as a percentage. Again, with a scope readout, you can zero in on specific waveform components to measure amplitude, frequency, deltas, etc.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

"What tools should I use? Thx for your kind help."

Sounds like a job for an oscilloscope! I read that there is computer software available that can be used to make your cyber set-up work as an oscilloscope, so you might not have to go out and buy/rent/borrow one.

I don't know how to use an oscilloscope so I can't give a complete and definitive answer here.

Reply to
C. Nick Kruzer

Would you turn off that damn Webtv wallpaper shit?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida