Digital waveform editor?

Does anyone know a simple tool to create/edit digital waveforms? Google only provides links to audio editors and fake software archive websites.

The reason I ask is that I recently acquired a Lecroy LW420 with the digital output option. I'd like to use it as a digital pattern generator (besides a function generator). As expected the editing of digital waveforms on the LW420 itself is crap but the device does allow import from a file.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Tone Generator ?

Hmmm, an uncompressed WAV file does not look too complicated to make.

Martin Riddle

This sound s a lot like a job for Adobe Audition. I'd say CoolEdit 96, but Syntrillium sold out to Adobe long ago. I have not tried Audition because CoolEdit 96 meets my needs.

CE96 was good enough that you could build filters to constrain noise to emulate an organ tonewheel. I built a dumb "organ" using that technique once. But it will not generate any arbitrary function - just the usual sine/triangle/square ( plus a few harmonics ) . I would hope Audition is even better. But you can draw any waveform you like... which is a bit tedious...

Also also - something like Octave ( a free Matlab "equivalent" ) might be better if you're genning really complex stuff. And I have used FFTW more than once to gen a waveform directly from an FFT. And I have a 'C' compiler and I'm not afraid to use it...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

A spreadsheet (Excel, Open Office Calc etc.) is also usable for generating complicated waveforms. It is a bit more interactive than using the C compiler.

Reply to
upsidedown

Are you looking for something like a GUI waveform editor? Something that will let you hook a point and drag it to a new position on the screen instead of, say, importing into a spreadsheet, identifying which $#%! point to edit, changing it, then regenerating a graph?

If so, take a look at GoldWave. It is probably one of those audio editors that your search returned but it's much more than just a tool for tweaking the bass response.

Among other features, you can zoom into individual sample points on a waveform display and change the amplitude of individual holds while tracking the results on an X-Y (time-amplitude) readout, as well as cut/paste, fade, insert silence, etc.

There's also a built-in expression evaluator / function generator with the usual algebraic, trig, and exponential operators if you're looking for another tool to generate waveforms.

Un-licensed installations run as evaluation copies with full functionality but a limited number (2000) of total commands.

I don't use it anywhere near its full potential; got it years ago to fiddle with some audio files. Fun tool.

or

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

No no no no no. I need something that allows me to make something like a timing chart for digital signals. I don't need an audio waveform editor.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I need something that allows me to draw a timing chart for digital signals and then export it so a simple format.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Excel then - you can drag the graph points & have it update the data. Export it in whatever format you want.

Reply to
Dennis

If you bought it used ask LeCroy. There should have been Software that came with it. On my Chinese arb generator you can draw the waveform with the mouse on the PC screen and then upload it to the generator.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I need something that allows me to draw a timing chart for digital signals and then export it so a simple format.

------------

There are several programs out there that can do it. Search for Timing diagrams. UML can deal with them so most UML design software can create timing diagrams.

Reply to
DonMack

GoldWave can do that pretty easily, although you may need to scale the sample rate. Do a File | New, define the sample rate and period for the ultimate number of samples, zoom in, and then start dragging the zero-order hold segments of each sample, or grab a segment and simply draw free-hand. Done. Or you can fill it in with an expression to start with and then drag segments to tweak.

Do a Save As text and run that through a simple Perl script (or your preference) to scale the floating point result (-1,1) to [0,255] for the LeCroy and you're done. You could even sign your name in the waveform editor and play that back ...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

That software is called Easywave and is a DOS program. I've never seen or used it myself but people claim it isn't user friendly. And I'm specifically looking for something to make digital patterns for the pattern generator output, not analog signals.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thanks, searching for 'timing diagrams' came up with several usefull links. I should redo the 'how to drive Google' course :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

No need to modify. Merely hire bad workers. Here's the output from an AlwaysWrong/Archimedes circuit.

mike

Reply to
m II

PostScript, of course.

<

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Then your choices would probably boil down to figuring out the data format and whipping up your own Excel routine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Have you googled wav file editor?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, but that only comes up with audio file editors or editor for analog signals. I want to put a digital pattern together (8 traces with signals that can be 0 or 1).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Fairly simple in Excel! This works in Excel 97 and probably 2000/2003. A different approach is needed for 2007/2010

  1. Create a sheet called DATA with 0 in A1 and in A2 put:

=A1

then fill down for the required number of time units. Fill across to get 8 columns. This is where the data is generated, one bit per cell

  1. Create a sheet called ENGINE and in A1 put

=DATA!A1+12-COLUMN(A1)*1.5

then fill across and down to the same size as the occupied area in DATA. This spreads the graph vertically so it looks like a timing diagram.

  1. Create a chart sheet containing a line chart. Select the used area of ENGINE as the source data range in column order. Fiddle with the formatting to hide the numbers on the Y axis and put pale gridlines across it at useful intervals and make the series lines sensible colours. Resize it vertically till it looks good. At this stage all the lines are in their low state.

  1. In the VBA editor attach the following code to the chart sheet:

------------------------------------------------------------------ Option Explicit Private Sub Chart_Select(ByVal ElementID As Long, _ ByVal Arg1 As Long, ByVal Arg2 As Long)

Dim c$ Dim r As Range

If ElementID = xlSeries Then If Arg1 > 0 And Arg2 > 0 Then Set r = Worksheets("DATA").Cells(Arg2, Arg1) If Arg2 = 1 Then r.Value = 1 - r.Value Else c$ = r.Offset(-1, 0).Address(False, False) If r.Formula = ("=" & c$) Then r.Formula = ("=1-" & c$) Else If r.Formula = ("=1-" & c$) Then r.Formula = ("=" & c$) End If End If Set r = Nothing End If End If End Sub

------------------------------------------------------------------ This macro re-writes the value or formula associated with a specific data point.

  1. Using it: The VBA macro toggles the rest of the data column between 0 and 1 whenever you click a data point on one of the graph series lines. You may need to click twice the first time to get the series selected so you can select a data point. Each time you click it introduces a transition (or removes an existing one) inverting the whole of the rest of the line. Repeated clicks on the same point only work if you click the background or another point in between, (Excel is a little quirky :-( )

  1. The result in the DATA sheet will probably need some manipulation in yet another sheet to generate something you can simply save as a text file or paste into the pattern file.

Good luck and enjoy!

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:31:35 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

Did not that German guy (from the 555 ) that post here, had something with an FPGA on his website? Should be easy with an FPGA to make more channels anyways. Maybe write a PC interface, but IIRC he already did that.

Bit of Verilog?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje