Eicocraft Watizit!

I have in my collection of electronics, dating back quite a few
decades, a device that I can not find any info or can even figure out
what it is.
It's a small aluminum box with a Eicocraft label on it. It has one
momentary contact button, a speaker, a 9V clip and an insulated post
for possibly an aerial of some sort. It's definatley RF as it has a
small variable cap and a 6 winding coil. The board has T601-100 on it.
The case has nothing but the Eicocraft label on it.
It looks to be maybe from the 60's.
The built in speaker was toast so I replaced it with a new one but
still am not getting anything out of it.
I am finding no reference to this device on the internet (by the
number on the board) and am at a loss as to where else to turn except
all you learned Circuitheads.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
-Kevin (Fellow Circuithead(though maybe not as learned))

Re: Eicocraft Watizit!
Kevin Glover prodded the keyboard with:

Hi Kevin,

Just a couple of WAG's

I suspect that it may be an FM transmitter used as a bug, the
loudspeaker being used as a microphone.

The only other possibility that I can think of, is a Fox, as in Fox &
Hounds, where portable radios are used to locate the Fox and again
the loudspeaker is used to generate modulation from the background
noise.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Re: Eicocraft Watizit!

Thanks Baron,
I think that's on the right track. I found this
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Elementary-Electronics/1960/Elementary%20Electronics-1967-11-12.pdf
check page 39.
It's similar but not exact. Yes it semms to be a small transmitter. My
Mic in it is dead so I may try to find a replacement and see if it
still works.
Thanks again,
-Kevin

Re: Eicocraft Watizit!
Kevin Glover prodded the keyboard with:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Elementary-Electronics/1960/Elementary%20Electronics-1967-11-12.pdf

Thanks Kevin, interesting link.  I assume that you noted the advert on
page two !

I haven't built one for many years.  They were fun :-)  They got put
in bean cans, dropped into drain pipes even hidden in haystacks.
They didn't always get found.  Usually because the battery went flat.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Re: Eicocraft Watizit!

Great Googley Moogley! That is the device I've been asking about! I
didn't even notice page 2. Thanks Baron for pointing that out to me.
-Kevin

Re: Eicocraft Watizit!
Kevin Glover prodded the keyboard with:

 Your welcome. Have fun :-)
--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Re: Eicocraft Watizit!

You need access to old catalogues from major electronic parts suppliers
from the 60s. Something like my old Electrosonic catalog from around
1965 that lists tons of things like this as well as the specs for weird
old parts that haven't been archived yet anywhere I can find.

My Electrosonic catalog (from 1968) only shows EicoCraft test equipment.
Pity!

Search ebay for eicocraft catalogs - I imagine they turn up from time to
time - nothing on at present though.

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9