DriverLINX API to Display LED characters

Hi All,

I have the task of programming through the Keithley's DriverLINX API to light up seven LED characters on a weather station display. I am having a heck of a time getting a program to send a value through the IO board. A description of the hardware, software, and my questions are below:

Description of hardware:

The only hardware I needed to replace was the Keithley ISA PIO12 board with a PCI PIO24 board (same pin-outs). The LED characters, ribbon, power supply all exist from the old computer.

You can find pictures of the display, the ribbons, and everything here:

Each of the seven panels support three LED characters. These control boards were made by an electrical engineer, and I assume work correctly. (The LED characters are industry standard, model number DLO7135 ? shown here:

. Data sheets are found here:

I am using the PCI PIO-24 to send values through the grey ribbon to the LED displays.

Description of software:

I am using Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio.NET 2003 and sample code downloaded from Keithley to write a value through the IO board. The sample code compiles, but I can't seem to pick the right options to get anything to display. The VB.NET code looks like this:

With AxSRAIO .Req_subsystem = DlsrLib.DL_SubsystemConstants.DL_AO .Req_mode = DlsrLib.Req_modeConstants.DL_POLLED .Req_op = DlsrLib.Req_opConstants.DL_START .Evt_Tim_type = DlsrLib.Evt_xxx_typeConstants.DL_NULLEVENT .Evt_Str_type = DlsrLib.Evt_xxx_typeConstants.DL_COMMAND .Evt_Stp_type = DlsrLib.Evt_xxx_typeConstants.DL_TCEVENT .Sel_chan_format = DlsrLib.FormatConstants.DL_tNATIVE .Sel_chan_N = 1 .Sel_chan_start = 0 .Sel_chan_startGainCode = .DLGain2Code(-1) .Sel_buf_N = 0 .Res_Sta_typeStatus = DlsrLib.Res_Sta_typeStatusConstants.DL_IOVALUE x = TextBox2.Text .Res_Sta_ioValue = .DLVolts2Code(x) .CtlRefresh() End With

When I run the code, the form runs and says I have chosen an invalid subsystem. This says to me that the communication to the hardware is good, but the hardware says I've done something wrong.

The original code to write values to the LEDs is made in some old language, using assembly to write values directly to the IO board. I'm trying to use the API to write values.

I am using sample code found here:

within the link named: VB.NET example for Single Value AI and AO with DriverLINX

Please respond to this message, or contact me at chris.uhl#usask.ca (change # to @) if you have any thoughts or need clarification.

Thanks, Chris.

Reply to
Chris Uhl

Chris, The exapmle code looks like it's specifically for analog I/O. I've never worked with the stuff outlined here, but there are definite references to analog values in your code. Look at the example code for the board you have, it looks like this one is for polled stats or something like that, and work from there.

You don't have a VB problem, you just seem to be programming for the wrong board type.

Personally there are way better ways to do what you're looking to do, but it would involve changing out the displays. If you want and can justify a better display option, locate your local Red Lion Controls distributor, they have displays for almost everything.

--
HK
Reply to