advise on ESR meter project ?

after diagnosing an old microcontroler board with lots of various old caps i thought maybe an ESR meter to be a good tool for the tool box ? yes/no or a better tool for the box

so i googled for some ESR meter plans and settled on this one ....

could someone comment on this design and whether it appears to be good/bad ? are there better plans to build ? are there any improvement mods that should could be made ?

thanks for any help, robb

Reply to
robb

If it's a really old piece of kit , and has electro caps in it, just replace the lot. They guys who built it probably didn't know what ESR was in those days, it's only become obvious with modern smps IC's, needing miniohms of ESR

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

"robb"

various

the

be

just

those

miniohms

hello martin, thanks for reply. i understand your point and i will likely do that however the trouble as pointed out on that ESR schematic website is that even brand new caps can have numerous ESR failures. So i was thinking before i invest all that time changing out all those caps i should at least test the new caps for ESR failures ?

thanks for the advice, robb

Reply to
robb

OK, nothing wrong with having an ESR meter, but repairing old bits of kit, say over 10 years old, just recap the lot, no need for a meter, and the caps today are a lot better than the 80's.

Are you really going to remove a 20 year old cap, measure it and then say " that's shit, that one is shit as well, so's that one", then stuff the occasional good one back into the pcb...., just replace them all

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Couldn't cope with the graphics on the web site, but in the old days, you would just stick 10uF here, 10uF there, and a splattering of a

100nF everywhere, ESR wasn't even in the equation in those days.

And I don't think that a site selling ESR meters would say that Quality Control in modern factories is quite good.... a bit of FUD maybe

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

My opinion, It does not come close to actually giving you a true ESR reading. All the design is doing is relying on high valued capacitors assumed to still have life and hoping to display the effective series resistance in them by assuming the Xc to be at a very low value with the 50khz referenced used. In practice, that isn't a real ESR meter.

When I worked at Semco, the preferred method used on the automation line for ESR testing was to apply a 1 us pulse to the cap via a low value R from a stable pulse source. Both the pulse source and net result reference from the cap under going a test were being monitored via a high speed comparator. When the pulse source reached it's max peak it would force another comparator to briefly update a sample and hold circuit for a generate voltage offset difference;

Theory of operation was that most caps when discharged (shunt shorted) would exhibit virtual 0 (Xc)with a fast raise pulse, and the net results of the resistance formed by construction and leads would then not allow for an absolute short to common which would give you a reference to work with that could then be translated into Ohms. Part of the components were mounted in the probe assembly arm to reduce induction in the equation.

Using this method, it did not matter if the cap was a small or large value type. it simply only did the acquisition of readings on a single positive transition.

This method was check against other equipment in the lab that was designed for Q testing of small and medium value and found to be very accurate.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

"robb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I built and use it. It is adequate for good/bad/questionable diagnosis. It is also simple to assemble, I built mine from "junk" parts. I don't think I could beat it for the price...

Reply to
me

The kit is from Vancouver BC We make some stuff out here.. :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

true

assumed

resistance

50khz

so this luden's ESR gives no useful info about a cap ? and its a waste of time design ?

Thanks for advice Jamie, robb

Reply to
robb

various

the

to be

mods

really good - -

comment on the

Thanks for reply chuck, That looks alot like those Bob Barker ESR meters

Thanks for help, robb

Reply to
robb

I built this one

- - really good - - have enjoyed using it for about 4 months, now. Check out my comment on the flippers website about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Chuck Olson W6PKP

Reply to
Chuck Olson

from what I can see, it's not fully implemented to give you an accurate reading. If you were to have a failed cap due to loss of capacitance, it will give you the conclusion that it has a high ESR but that isn't true how ever. A circuit like that could work much better if it was modified. the idea of pumping in a square wave of 50khz into that xformer most likely generates +/- pulses if the induction is low enough.

My self, I would of used a bridge type sensing circuit from the source and from the cap test point with a low (R) between the source and test cap to measure the offset on the transition period. With this type of config, the cap would be in as a shunt and not as a series component. all one would need to do is cross the leads for 0 calibration before test begins.

If you don't know enough to mod this unit, maybe you should look for a simple LCR meter with that function on it.?

I haven't really seen to much on the net for a stand alone ESR meter. I think most just get a unit that does LCR/ESR. something like the below link. THat's a bench model how ever, they make a hand held also.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

wrote

one

[ trimmed ] ...

the

source

not as

calibration before

Hi jamie speaking of using a bridge circuit how does this design look ?

If it is not obvious i am looking for cheap (free) ESR schematic/plans to build thanks for the help , robb

Reply to
robb

now you're cooking with GAS! :)

yes, That one will do just fine!

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

I built that one, the cost is low, and it works fine for what you want to do. If you want a laboratory grade instrument, look elsewhere.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

On a sunny day (Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:44:29 -0500) it happened "robb" wrote in :

I have no ESR meter, but many times if I wanted to know about caps I just used 2 scope channels, substract, and in that way monitor the voltage over the cap, and IF it shows fast transients the cap is defective. This method works nice in switchmodes. And indeed the applying a pulse method is likely the best, and can be used in the same way. I hope you have an analog scope :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I bought recently this one :

(the french version but it works the same)

nice kit, and with the esr meter you have for the same price of most of esr meters kits , a precise LCR meter !!! this is a valuable instrument I really enjoy mine !

regards.

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to

It only has a 12.5 KHz maximum test frequecy.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

it can go to 25khz with the user selectable frequency yes it's less than the 100khz esr meters often use but it's enought to measure dead caps ! and far more precise to measure other caps and inductors ! I also have a small analog esr meter I build (the one from poptronix) and I never use it anymore...

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to