wifi module

Has anyone had any luck locating some wifi module which is simple, i.e. does not want to do all the tcp/ip, just move packets ethernet like? A documented one, that is. There is a USB class "ethernet emulation" or sort of, any chances there is some wifi module being that and thus perhaps being usable for non-politbureau members (i.e. PC/phone makers)? Obviously I am looking for something more or less up to date, a/b/g/n, e.g. a cheap tablet my wife has can do 65MbpS over wifi, at least that fast.

Thanks,

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

oes not want to do all the tcp/ip, just move packets ethernet like? A docum ented one, that is. There is a USB class "ethernet emulation" or sort of, a ny chances there is some wifi module being that and thus perhaps being usab le for non-politbureau members (i.e. PC/phone makers)?

g. a cheap tablet my wife has can do 65MbpS over wifi, at least that fast.

I assume that you are trying to use a micro for Wifi client and have some c ontrol over the Access Point. To do so, you much simplify the protocols.

Getting the Wifi module is not diffiult. Getting USB interface is not diff icult, since most of them are USB anyway. However, dealing with channel at henication is difficult. My suggestions are:

  1. Using fixed channel 1 or 11 (or even non-standard 0 and 12 if possible). That would avoid interferences with standard Wifi devices. The micto cli ent would not have to roam and hunt for the right channel.
  2. Using fixed MAC address, You can definite a limited subset of MAC addres s. Your AP will only response to such address and perhaps with a PIN
  3. Strip the Wifi driver and remove the necessary parts (i.e. PCI, PCIe, et c) and features (WPA, WEO, etc).

The driver should fit in around 1M bytes flash.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Well while "micro" is correct - an MPC5200B - the system is a fullblown OS, I want to be able to write the drivers for a wifi module. The only thing I don't know is how to talk to the module, i.e. its command set.

I don't mind the "difficult" part, as long as I do not have to go into reverse engineering.

There will be no "driver" other than what I will have written. There may be some piece of firmware which has to be uploaded to the module by my driver upon initialization etc. but that is OK as long ass I have the information how this is to be done.

Do you know whether some USB wifi dongles are known well enough so one can do that? I have seen quite a list of "compatible devices" for the raspberry board, this should mean things may be doable after all - unless they all come with some "binaries" written by the manufacturer. Do you know how this works?

Thanks,

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

S, I want to be able to write the drivers for a wifi module. The only thing I don't know is how to talk to the module, i.e. its command set.

Can you compile with Linux drivers? Certain Wifi chips are well supported in Linux.

difficult, since most of them are USB anyway. However, dealing with chann el authentication is difficult. My suggestions are:

verse engineering.

le). That would avoid interferences with standard Wifi devices. The micro client would not have to roam and hunt for the right channel.

dress. Your AP will only response to such address and perhaps with a PIN

, etc) and features (WPA, WEP, etc).

be some piece of firmware which has to be uploaded to the module by my driv er upon initialization etc. but that is OK as long ass I have the informati on how this is to be done.

n do that? I have seen quite a list of "compatible devices" for the raspber ry board, this should mean things may be doable after all - unless they all come with some "binaries" written by the manufacturer.

Pick one chip and stick with it.

Avoid Broadcom at all cost. (binary drivers) Avoid Realtek if possible. (outdated drivers)

Athereo is well supported. Universal driver (PCI, PCIe and USB) is around

1.5M. My AP (PCIe less USB) is 1M and my client side (USB less PCI*) is 1M . Haven't done other than stripping the drivers yet.

I replaced all my HP laptops (came with Broadcom) with Athereo PCIe. Unfor tunately, HP is very picky about foreign hardware, but that's a different s tory.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

No but if all related sources are available for linux or whatever I can just read what I need in them.

I am actually hoping that if a USB dongle behaves as an "Ethernet emulation" device I will not have to deal a lot with what chip is inside it. Some firmware upload could well be chip specific but not much more than that, the rest the thing does is fairly standard... unless made on purpose non-standard, of course.

What do you mean by "stripping the drivers"? Drivers normally are are OS specific - if you use their OS specific part (for linux, windows, whatever) chances are it will not be usable for me (under dps). Or do you just strip the "firmware to be uploaded" part?

Thanks,

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

ted in Linux.

ust read what I need in them.

Yes, it's in latest kernel. 3.16 or 3.15 (I am using).

can do that? I have seen quite a list of "compatible devices" for the rasp berry board, this should mean things may be doable after all - unless they all come with some "binaries" written by the manufacturer.

Most of the smaller USB dongles are Realtek chips. They might work with ol der kernels, but not latest. It would be hard to fit the latest kernel in raspberry pie anyway, so it might not matter.

on" device I will not have to deal a lot with what chip is inside it. Some firmware upload could well be chip specific but not much more than that, th e rest the thing does is fairly standard... unless made on purpose non-stan dard, of course.

No, you can't. Lots of standard 802.11 stuffs are not Ethernet related. C alling it Wireless Ethernet is over-simplification.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

There is no raspberry involved, I mentioned it only because I had found the list of "compatible adaptors" for it. I have never had one in my hands actually.

I understand that plenty of the radio related part would be new/different. But moving packets can be made look the same for the host, hence my query.

Do you know whether some of the USB wifi dongles do behave as "Ethernet emulation" devices (although there may well be more to them than that)?

Alternatively, do you know that most/all USB wifi dongles are not "Ethernet emulation" class devices?

Basically this is the very first info I am looking for, once I know that I can take it from there or drop USB wifi I suppose.

Thanks,

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

ation" device I will not have to deal a lot with what chip is inside it. So me firmware upload could well be chip specific but not much more than that, the rest the thing does is fairly standard...

. Calling it Wireless Ethernet is over-simplification.

. But moving packets can be made look the same for the host, hence my query .

Moving packet is only a very small part of the driver function. You have t o do all kind of wireless setup before moving a packet.

mulation" devices (although there may well be more to them than that)?

The closest I can think of is that they support driver in USB CDC/ACM packe t mode. But internally, the driver is still talking at the register level.

Lots of configurations are done via wireless extension, which is not in sta ndard Ethernet drivers.

BTW, the Realtek driver is not supporting wireless extension properly, or s upporting the wrong version.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee