Which ARM processor to use...

I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.

The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash of

256kB and an ethernet controller. I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with TI. I'm sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

--
Wil
Reply to

ST's STM32F107 line of CM3s will run 72 MHz and have (among other stuff, of course) embedded Ethernet MACs with DMA support. Haven't played with the 107-series but have used the 103 in several recent projects. Nice chips.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

of

I saw that too. Strangely enough the ethernet interface is not listed in the parametric search window on the NXP site. But it is in the general description..

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet. The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69 120mhz ST has a line with Ethernet. They are all right there on their web sites.

--
Joe
Republic of Texas

They are probably all around 30Mhz running from flash. That's the current process limit.

0mhz

with several wait states.

Reply to
linnix

I second that. Personally used only the F100 series, but the F200 are used in other projects in my company. The documentation is good, there are many inexpensive development boards, and the combination STM32 + Segger J-Link + IAR, (my employer's weapon of choice,) works well.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

the

'>

If you don't mind a MIPS core, PIC32MX7XX has ethernet as well. I don't really care about the core, but just poking fun as people saying ARM are forever. You can run the PIC32 at 210MHz with 7 wait states. It will run at effective 30MHz in flash, but switch to 210MHz once relocated to sram. At least, that the theory. In practice, i only heard of 160MHz.

Reply to
linnix

NXP uses 128-bit wide FLASH and a "memory accelerator" (a simple RAM buffer) which helps.

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

120mhz

er)

PIC32 also have internal wider bus (128 bits or more), instruction cache and 5 stage pre-fetch pipeline. I guess almost everybody is doing the same.

Reply to
linnix

Has Freescale even gotten on the ARM bandwagon? If they did, they'd have an ARM-QUICC (or whatever) with a bazzilion interfaces including at least one Ethernet.

(It's been years since I've even looked at the Freescale website -- presumably if they'd slid off the face of the earth I'd have read about it, but that's all I know).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

ve

Yes, ARM M4 w/ DSP. Got USB, CAN, ethernet and whatever.

Reply to
linnix

I like the PIC32 a lot, too. But I think Meindert already has an ARM toolset. That usually plays large in a decision like this.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

They've got the Kinetis Cortex-M4 microcontrollers and the i.MX microprocessors.

-a

Reply to
Anders.Montonen

lash

in the

Actually, i have LMI, ST and NXP ARM boards/tools as well, but that doesn't stop me from jumping to PIC32 (per customer request). Just poking fun at people saying MIPS is dead.

Reply to
linnix

Who doesn't ? ;) Yes, the

i.MX2** series, (ARM9) i.MX3** series, (ARM11) i.MX5** series, (Cortex-A8) i.MX6** series, (Cortex-A9, announced)

Didn't see anything as ugly as the QUICC in those processors but, paraphrasing Tolstoy, "every processor family is ugly in its own unique way."

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

the

Ah. Given that it is from Microchip, it will never be dead. I think I can still get PIC16C54, today. Once they commit, they commit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

l flash

ed in the

On the contrary, PIC24FJ256DA206 (with graphics, but we are not using it yet) is no longer active on Digikey and disappearing from certain Microchip list. I think the microchip rep was trying to steer us away from this part as well. Hence, we are looking into PIC26 and PIC32. BTW, PIC26 (PIC24H) is 10% faster than PIC24 and with 12 bits A2D.

Reply to
linnix

l flash

ed in the

Well, mostly. They occasionally have version-bumps that prevent re- use of existing compiled code. Cost of some of the old chips has gone up quite a bit, and availability (at least through distributors) is (perhaps understandably) not so good.

Reply to
cassiope

ve

remember looking at Freescale mac7xxx, arm7 aimed at automotive don't think they had ethernet, the real interesting thing about them was that they had 5V IOs but it looked like they only sold them to a few select customers

when I worked for Freescale we made several RF chips with an arm7 core

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt