Where to add new block in NVM?

In our target board, we use 32K x 8 EEPROM. Our NVM is partitioned into non-relocatable area and relocatable area. In the non-relocatable area, there is block reserved for machine serial number, a block reserved for clock value, and number of other blocks for different variables.

In the relocatable area, we have two big blocks. One block stores machine events and the other block stores machine diagnostics.

I need to add one byte block to our NVM. This variable will have two possible values, either the left operator station is active or the right operator station is active.

Where should I add this block? In non-relocatable area or relocatable area?

What might be the reason for partitioning NVM into non-relocatable and relocatable areas?

Thank you!

cent_21st