What's the story with the "end of XP"?

Yeah, use Linux on a system with almost 1 Mb of DRAM memory and have your application running in it, too.

Anything that has less than 4 Mb of memory (excluding storage) is often unusuable for Linux. I tried to make a terminal out of an old 486 box using a floppy drive as kernel and rootfs source. I failed because the memory wasn't enough to use squashfs, the kernel and busybox.

I stuck using DOS with packet driver, DOSVNC, SSH2DOS and TELNET. And I _still_ have enough memory to hold everything uncompressed in a ram disk (and have it compressed on the floppy to spare load times). Do that with Linux. You don't even get a VNC client on SVGALib to work in more than

640x480x4 if it's not VESA compliant. Using DOS, I simply load a TSR-VESA driver and everything is fine.

Nice, huh?

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian

BSD has been used in many embedded applications with small memories and with filesystems resident on floppies, very small flash, etc. One of my BSD-based favorites is the Netblazer operational code which can run over TFTP or from 1.44MB floppy in 1MB RAM on x86 and it includes TCL for scripting.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg