What is a Hex buffer?

which

I understand it fine. However, for something like 20 years in my world, "Octal" meant an 8-bit value represented by a base-8 numbering system, while "Hex" means "Hexadecimal" which is a 16-bit value represented by a base-16 numbering system. I'm simply saying that, in my (software) environment, I'm used to "octal" being smaller than "hex". Thinking of it otherwise does not come natural.

Reply to
Baxter

Ok, now this starts making some sense. The input pins on the buffer are connected to the Serial output of a Palm. We're talking the RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS, etc.

Reply to
Baxter

Exactly right.

Berg is a stalker. I prefer not to engage him in technical forums, and leave any interactions with him to the entertainment (political) forums.

Reply to
Baxter

Hmm... Then how would you express 32-bit values? And 11-bit values? Sorry, couldn't resist, but it's Friday night anyway :)

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Barshaw

I presume that was a typo. An octal digit represents a 3-bit value. A hexadecimal digit represents a 4-bit value.

But I bet you knew that, really ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

I presume it was a thinko.

Yes, but keeping more with the derivation, an octal digit can represent

8 possible values and a hexadecimal digit can represent 16 possible values. Back in seventh grade math class, we worked with base 7 and base 12 (septal and duodecimal?).

As far as shortening hexadecimal to hex and getting confused, that what often happens with usage over time. I am guilty of abbreviating a mu, prefix for micro, with a similar looking Roman u. Some people probably think that "us" is the proper abbreviation for microseconds (uF, uV, uW, etc.). The ones that get me going are the use of capital S for seconds (SI symbol for Siemens) and K for kilo.

--
Thad
Reply to

Of course you can use the correct abbreviation to deliberately confuse the general public. I saw a model railway in a visitor centre with warnings saying "Beware, High Voltage!!! 36,000mV".

Peter

Reply to
Peter

My grandfather (many years ago) told me of doing that, in the 1920's: "Danger! 4000mV" Kept the fingerpokers well away :)

Reply to
David R Brooks