what Hardware do i use?

Hi I need to use an Embedded OS and i dont know what processors to use for running an OS. I've got a look over intel 8051 but it seems to me pretty low in resources. I need a processor or Microcontroller with rich memmory; i mean it should have or support large ROM for code space and have great amout of RAM as i plan to run processes on my system. Can some1 help me? Bye

Reply to
Ahmed

Wow. That's almost the most backward way of asking a question I can think of. It's like saying I have some yellow paint and I don't know what I should build to paint yellow. Note that I haven't said how much paint, what kind of paint, what shade of yellow -- or what I need to do with my yellow-painted thing when I'm done.

There are a bunch of "embedded" operating systems out there -- including ones that run just dandy on an 8051. If you know what "embedded" OS you are using and why, how many resources your OS will use and how many your application will, then that should guide your choice of processor.

I would suggest you look on the Electronic Design website and others of its ilk. Look for a microcontroller roundup -- that's often the quickest way to match your memory, speed and peripheral requirements against some actual microcontrollers.

If you can't find a good guide there, here's what I'd do:

  • Estimate the amount of memory you need. You seem to have some idea if you know that an 8051 is insufficient.

  • Estimate the processor speed you need.

  • List all of the peripherals you will need.

Go look on the web sites of all the microcontroller manufacturers you know of, and find the best match.

Without _way_ more detail on your part no one is going to be able to answer you in more detail than I've given.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services