Wanted: Scrap QFP and leadless chips, bad PC board prototypes

I'm trying to test a homebrewed IR-reflow solder controller. Basically, this is an add-on that gets hacked into a consumer toaster oven. It uses a temperature sensor aimed at the bread^H^H^H^H^Hboard tray to determine the approximate surface temp, and a microcontroller to handle the heater PWMing and profile timing. You enter the soldering profile on a keypad, hit "start" and walk away - in theory.

However, I've run out of unwanted boards and chips. I'd be interested in acquiring any unwanted, non-functional *cheap* devices and scrap PCBs that have appropriate land patterns on them. I'm mainly interested in TSOP, TSSOP, TQFP/PQFP/MQUAD (44 through 208 pins), but I'm also curious about MELF and similar packages.

I'd prefer unstuffed PCBs but can deal with desoldering and cleaning if I have to. FR4 is the only material I'm attempting to qualify.

Although I don't intend to use this on BGA packages, I'd also be moderately curious to test the controller on BGAs if there are devices/PCBs available. (I have access to X-ray facilities to check the results).

If you have suitable scrap materials for sale, please email me!

Reply to
larwe

[...]

Hi,

If this is just for a hobby project you don't really need a controller. I'm pretty happy with the results that I got using an $18 toaster oven and a melting temperature indicator:

True, you may get more consistent results with a temperature controller but I think other factors like, for example, the solder paste application process, also influence the quality of the final result.

If you are willing to spend some money, this company sells test PCBs and dummy ICs (i.e., packages with no silicon inside):

Regards,

-- Georgi

Regards,

-- Georgi

Reply to
Georgi Beloev

Basically,

controller.

This is for two purposes: 1) assembling protos for customers with less work than hand-assembly and less expense than contract assembly, and 2) because it's a fun project :)

oven

Yes, I've read your page. This method doesn't allow one to reach even approximately the right profile, though. In particular the cooling phase must be controlled. For example with this method I have cracked ceramic packages and often created dull joints by cooling too fast. Conversely, cooling too slow affects longevity.

I'm basically looking for someone who has scrap parts and/or boards for sale, so that I can do some more inexpensive testing. Each board can be used 2-3 times for tests (though only the first test is really definitive).

Reply to
larwe

Nice project:

Sorry I have no boards or components to contribute but what are the details of the project?

uC, IR sensor, etc.

snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com wrote:

It

less

2)

for

be

Reply to
jlochner

I can't say if they meet your definition of cheap, but these guys offer dummy components - good for practice work and testing land patterns:

ISTR they're about $1/chip, with a minimum purchase of ~$60. They offer practice boards, but you'll probably find that running your own batch is cheaper.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.