Update freescale HC08 MCU in run-time.

Hi All,

That MCU in my circuit, after product housing, I still want to let user can upgrade the MCU firmware through USB...

Any commnet? My main chip is a Bluetooth chip.

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Beyond my experience I'm afraid Boki.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Normally this is done through a boot loader. If you like to live dangerously you build one into your application code. If you want to play it _really_ safe you have an entirely separate application that comes up first, checks to see if it's supposed to load anything, then jumps to the application.

Google for 'boot load' or 'application download'. I'm sure that someone has written an article for this in Embedded Systems Programming or whatever they call themselves now.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Hello Tim,

Or look at the respective MSP430 app note from TI about the boot loader to study how it's done and what kinds of safety interlocks are there. The MSP430 comes with a boot loader.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Tim Wescott =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

Ya, I know this way ( boot loader concept ), and I have implemented one called DFU - device firmware upgrade for a famous brand product. ( don't need any CSR *.DLL support so, it can use for most embedded systems ; ) )

Back to question, I wonder that freescale HC08 MCU supports boot loader also ? and what kind of interface..

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

er

Google is your friend, first hit with "hc08 bootloader":

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Joerg =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

Thanks, MSP430 seems a very good MCU, I went the MSP430 product seminar on 2004/09, but never go to detail.

Until last two week, a relative came and asked me to help about his graduate project.

I saw that MCU can do sigma-delta AD, wow... my thesis is 1-V sigma-delta AD, three years ago.

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

David L. Jones =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

user

one

Thank you very much! I think that is what I need. : D

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Hello Boki,

Check out the new EZ430 kit. Very nice, cheap and it comes with the F2013, IMHO the best deal among the new F2xx family chips. You can pry open the USB stick, detach the target board and use the stick as a SBW programmer.

Well, that kind of gives your age away ;-)

The F2013 contains a 16bit converter. Slow but has differential inputs, muxing and all. Nice. I hope the prices come down a little more so I can use them in designs that I am doing analog/mixed right now. The really good news is you can get them in DIP packages. This is essential for extremely low cost devices where you have to use a single-sided phenolic board.