Termination and PC parallel port

Hello all.

I have been asked to help fix a problematic situation that involves a new generation (P4) PC's parallel port driving a remote digital logic circuit(5V PAL) via 50 ft coax cable.

It sounds like a joke, but obviously the people who set this up didn't think about termination or buffering! There is NO buffering element NOR is there any termination between the parallel port output and the coax / remote circuit.

Anyway, I wanted to know, do all modern PC parallel ports include a 50 Ohm series terminating resistor ("Rs")?

According to this site:

it's mandated by the 1284 spec.

My own SPICE simulations show for source matched termination driving a

50 ft RG-58 coax transmission line (td = 77 ns, Z0 = 50 Ohms), the current transients will be -58 mA to 50 mA on the source of the series resistor (output of the parallel port circuit). I find that surprising...

Also, do I need to install the 1.2k pull-up resistors on the reciever end, as shown in the picture on the website?

If it were up to me, I would re-do the entire setup with dedicated driver ICs, proper termination and perhaps even do a differential pair setup. Unfortunetly a quick band-aid is required in this situation.

I'm thinking Schottky termination to clip any ugly transients.

As usual, suggestions, comments and other useful information is welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

-- Jay.

Reply to
Jay

The IEEE-1284 spec defines two types of ports. Level 1 is equivalent to the original parallel port's hardware, and Level 2 uses impedance matching to enable driving longer cables. The spec has been around for some time, and I would guess that modern PCs have Level 2 ports.

The output impedance of a Level-2 transmitter should be 45-55 ohms, or slightly less than the specified cable impedance of 62 ohms (twisted-pair cable). An interface may or may not use a series resistor to achieve this.

The standard says the pull-ups are required "to ensure operation with Level 1 and compatible devices," in other words, older hardware that doesn't have impedance matching at the source.

Jan Axelson

jan Axelson