Suggestions for a rugged color TFT LCD module?

We have a need for a 5 to 7 inch diagonal color qvga TFT module for an embedded device. The environment is outdoors, so a wide temperature range is very likely. There can be a resistive heater in the box to handle the low ends. We can protect against rain and direct contact with debris, but there could be a fair amount of vibration. Direct sunlight readable is also a real plus.

And of course, cheaper is better. Volume will not exceed low 100's per year.

Can anyone recommend a module they have used in a similar situation?

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

Your requirements sound fairly similar to automotive. At your volumes I'd be looking for small automotive video head-ends.

Reply to
larwe

Your requirements sound fairly similar to automotive. At your volumes I'd be looking for small automotive video head-ends.

Interesting and you are correct. Very similar to automotive. But I am looking for raw modules, not complete products.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

am

My point was that "cheaper is better" you will get cheaper by buying a consumer product. It's very difficult to get sane pricing on LCMs in anything less than consumer volumes.

Of course, you can try surplus vendors like earthlcd.com.

If money is no object, AU (formerly Unipac) has good products - probably many of the parts you'll find in those consumer products contain AU LCDs. But good luck buying them!

Reply to
larwe

Agreed! Recently I wanted to do a simple wireles control and looked at cheap 433 MHz radio modules. I ended up buying wireless dorbell, cost me around 50% of bare radio modules and only thing I've added was one relay and few 20-30 cents components. Lot cheaper and saved a heaps of time.

Tom

Reply to
Tom