Static allocation failure?

For operating systems, they usually store the CODE, CONST, and INIT as a block. Perhaps on a file system. When the program is to be started, the operating system loads all of these into RAM. It may turn on protections, or not. It may patch things on the way, or not. But the CODE, CONST, and INIT sections must be stored somewhere. This could be disk, core memory, magtape, punch cards, paper tape, etc. I suppose it could be in your head, even, and you'd toggle them in with switches (as I've done.) A memory system I've used before, that most folks these days may not remember, is core memory. It's NV and also read-write and also fast. There were times when I would store the program in core when the power was off -- no disk, no tape, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

The distinction is not so much whether the NV storage is flash or not, but whether it is directly executable or not.

Yes, I know that *you* know this stuff. I just thought that including a discussion of "DATA" and initialisation would make your helpful summary more complete, for the benefit of other readers. The original poster's system is (as far as I can guess) of the "copy program to ram and run from there" style, and thus "INIT" and "DATA" are at the same address. But many embedded systems run directly from flash (or ROM), so adding a note about it would broaden the appeal, and explain what you meant by "non-volatile read/write" - a term nearly as oxymoronic as "EPROM".

Reply to
David Brown