State of the art in stable accelerometers?

There are also thermal accelerometers, which have a little bubble of fluid (air, probably?) with a heater surrounded by temperature sensors; the warmer (and therefore less dense) part of the fluid moves in the direction of acceleration. I don't know if these are any more accurate than the types you mention; I'm just mentioning them for completeness. :) I think their main advantage is shock/impact resistance.

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
  "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." -Hegel

50000g (fluid based) vs. 5000g (capacitive based). I think production cost is more of an issue.
Reply to
linnix

I presume we're talking about an explosive-based mechanism to get to the 50000 g values.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Yes, you would likely rip everything out of the PCB with 50K G anyway. Ususally, you don't care much about the device after impact, as in ICBMs.

Reply to
linnix

Artillery shells experience 10,000 to 15,000 Gs at firing, and they have put some pretty complex electronics in them.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

s;

. :)

drop a accelerometer 3 feet on a hard surface will get you 10,000+ g's and kill most mems accelerometers

Reply to
joepierson