software glue for embedded devices

The SIMPL project

produces an ultra lightweight toolkit useful for gluing together software programs using the Send/Receive/Reply messaging scheme first pioneered by QNX. A SIMPL application consists of two or more interacting modules. These modules can be created in a number of supported programming languages including C, C++, Python, Tcl/Tk and the just released JAVA. In an analogy to the complexity hiding capabilities of an integrated circuit (IC) chip, the SIMPL project views its modules as softwareICs.

The bulk of the SIMPL projects that I'm aware of tend to be toward the embedded side of the spectrum although the library can be used on any Linux installation.

If you've ever had the need to glue an existing JAVA (webservices) application into a your embedded linux box, then JAVA-SIMPL is worth looking at. This article from a few years back talks about this concept using a Tcl/Tk programming example:

I'm always on the lookout for the "simplest possible demo which has any proof of concept value", so I can continue to challenge my SIMPL developers. If you have an ideas don't hesitate to contact me offlist.

Thanks.

bob SIMPL project facilitator

Reply to
bobicanprogram