SOC vs. Microcontroller vs. Microprocessor

I have always liked to distinguish a microprocessor from a microcontroller based on whether or not there are integrated peripherals on the same chip or just a CPU. There are some companies that seem to refer to what I traditionally thought of as microcontrollers by the term du jour, System-on-a-Chip. Are these two terms synonymous? Furthermore, sometimes these SOCs are referred to in the same documentation as processors. Isn't this a bit imprecise, and wouldn't calling them microcontrollers be better since they are a processor + a bunch of integrated peripherals and memories?

Thanks.

Reply to
joshc

I think you are expecting a precision in the language that just isn't there. All definitions three terms have as much to do with marketing as real distinctions, and the distinctions were not that cut and dried to begin with.

Although I do expect a spate of definitions to pop up with a theological discussion on how many micros can dance on the head of a pin now ;)

BTW the distinction I always heard between microcontroller and microprocessor was the microcontroller did not have an external bus and the microprocessor did.

SOC seems to be, or have quickly become, almost entirely a marketing term from what I can see.

Robert

Robert Adsett

SOC are more integrated then microcontrollers (e.g., the portalplayers are a good example) multi cpu's, built in charge pumps (multi regulators), specialized media processors, integration of different dies for analog and digital (DAC+ audio amps for headphones), built in Li-Ion chargers, none of which are seen in your standard microcontrollers.

Reply to
steve

Which of course makes a dog's ear out of any chip that can be configured to either have one or not.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Yep, or at least of the definition. I'm clearly not the only one used to that distinction though.

1406&dDocName=en027867

Which brings us back to pin heads which seems to have sparked an unexpected chord.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Whilst i do like wine, I musch prefer beer. Sometimes i drink cider too. I guess the are all the same.

Reply to
The Real Andy