Smalles Ethernet (no TCP/IP) implementation, even 10Mbps

This sounds like a likely explanation. I don't remember the cable being grounded anywhere (at least, not intentionally!) - but I certainly touched both PC and cable while connecting them.

By the time I learned the details of Ethernet hardware, we had moved over to twisted pair.

Reply to
David Brown

10base2 wiring instructions required exactly _ONE_ grounding point in the network. Using more than one grounding point did cause ground loop problems.
Reply to
upsidedown

An intesting coincidence...

In my department staff meeting this morning, the engineer who is responsible for one of the Windows apps that talks raw ethernet to one of our product lines says the app doesn't work under the latest versions of Windows 8 (it did work with earlier versions of Win8). I'm sure we'll get it to work again, but everybody involved will agree that over the life of the product, choosing raw ethernet created orders of magnitude more work work than it saved.

Choosing raw ethernet many years ago probably saved _one_ firmware engineer a few weeks effort. In the years since, it has probably cost several man years of extra work.

According to the tech support support guys, raw ethernet is a constant source of breakage for people with any sort of third-party windows "security" software installed.

For ATAoE or SCSIoE, that small overhead is important. For turning the lamp in the living room on/off, it's not.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! And then we could sit
                                  at               on the hoods of cars at

I was wondering if SELinux had a capability that could fix that problem, but I don't have SELinux installed on any of my boxes, and requiring it of customers wouldn't be an option.

Using raw ethernet as a development step makes a lot of sense. Supporting it in a product is where all the headaches start.

If you can keep the network closed and really don't want to talk to PCs, then it may be a good option.

That's interesting -- I assumed there was galvanic isolation. But now that I think about it, the BNC shell always appeared to be connected directly to chassis ground.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I once decorated my
                                  at               apartment entirely in ten

Touché

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! How's the wife?
                                  at               Is she at home enjoying

No, there was always a plastic part between case and metal shell of the BNC. See this example:

A PCI 10base-T/10base2 combocard, still available.

meetings, n.:
	A place where minutes are kept and hours are lost.
Reply to
Stef

But very true....

Dont even get me started on apps written in fixed pixels that are a pain on different screen sizes. Worst you have problem come up in 'safe' mode you cannot alter the settings as the dialog box is larger than screen. That is of course if the settings can be modified without full application running, which wont in safe mode.

Recent case, could not uninstall a wifi driver, as the app insisted on reinstalling driver even if the device suppossedly had no power. Normal mode start system driver crash, safe mode unable to uninstall or disable! That took some doing to disable.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

In some extreme cases like that, I was forced to boot from a Linux CD, mount the windows disk and erase the offending files, (at least the ones I could identify.) Then reboot while crossing fingers ...

--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
  return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Most Windows 'diagnostics' assume 95% of system is working first :-)

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

And they're useless for the other 5%.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I have a VISION!  It's
                                  at               a RANCID double-FISHWICH on

number of nodes is about 10, but I want to have a flexible architecture that could increase in the future.

developer: framing, multi-master, addressing, conflicts, ...

send raw Ethernet packets to the bus and receive raw packets from the bus (like for RS485).

could be nice in the future.

MAC and an external PHY, magnetics and connector, or a microcontroller with an external Ethernet controller (with MAC+PHY integrated), magnetics and connector?

You can use the Wiznet W7200 - ARM32bit Cortex M3 with hardwired TCP/IP, MAC & PHY.

It takes about 10 lines of C code to setup enough that the device responds to ping requests.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus
[...]

I wonder if it is TCP/IPv4-only, or does it support TCP/IPv6, too (i. e., "dual-stack")?

Is there a list of TCP/IPv6 implementations for embedded systems somewhere on the Web, BTW?

--
FSF associate member #7257
Reply to