small data area and zero data area

Hi all,

I understand that small data area and zero data area is in the RAM We have SDA as read only and read/write

  1. whats the specific need for small data area and zero data area.
  2. Does they have any advantage over other part of RAM.
Reply to
Mohan kumar

Those terms only make sense with respect to your processor architecture. What processor type are you using?

--
Thad
Reply to

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 03:49:53 -0500, "Mohan kumar" wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

What is "the RAM". What RAM? Internal, external? What processor? What tool set (compiler, linker, etc.)?

What specific tool set and processor are you talking about?

Over other part of what RAM?

Why can't people learn to ask reasonable questions? There are hundreds of embedded architectures, and between one and a dozen or more different tool chains for each.

I've worked with dozens of embedded architectures and tool sets, and none of them has had anything called "small data area" or "zero data area".

Understand that you need to specify a lot more information for anybody to answer your questions.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

The PowerPC version of the CodeWarrior tools has 2 SDA segments to allow the power PC to acess direct data in one instruction compared to 2 instructions for data outside of the SDA. The compiler automatically puts all data up to a user defined size in the SDAs. The SDAs are pointed to by 2 reserved (by EABI) registers for runtime use. Typically intialized data and constants are stored in each of the SDAs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill A.