Simulation Potentiometer Recommendation?

Hi,

I have a potentiometer on a simulation board used to simulate an A/D input to a microcontroller-based product.

The pot is a Radio Shack $1.99 kind of model. It worked OK for about 2 months and now it is behaving erratically.

Application is low-current, strictly transducer stuff.

Can anyone recommend a better style of potentiometer to use that will behave more precisely and last longer?

Constraints are:

a)Should be no more than 1-2 turn (it is operated manually, and a 10-turn pot would be a pain).

b)Should be mechanically capable of accepting a knob (a screwdriver is too much work).

Cost is no object. I'd go up to $25 if it would last a year.

Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
David T. Ashley

try Midori America in L.A.

conductive plastic pots.

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

Anything should be better than a Radio Shack. You are looking for generic carbon pots, which come in various tapers, such as logarithmic, linear, etc. Digikey should produce something. Salvaging something from an older radio/tv volume or tone control should do.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

Hello CBFalconer,

Those are actually the best. Those big old encapsulated monster pots. I never had one of them fail on me so far.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

The gold standard is conductive plastic over a wirewound element, but if you don't have too many bits of resolution, a cermet pot should work well enough for you, at least to 10+ bits of settability.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany