"Simple" CPU ?

Hi,

i've build several small boards with AVR microcontrollers. Now, i'd like to create something with more memory, a bus for extension cards, and less direct I/O. Well, sounds like i need a CPU instead of a uC.

Unfortunately most "modern" CPUs i found are pretty monsters which need lots of extra chips and have lots of pins.

I'd ideally search for something in microcontroller dimensions (40-80 pins DIP fitting into a grid style board), just with busses instead of universial I/O, with only a ROM,a RAM and an oszilator needed to start operation.

Besides above layout requirements, i'd like -(at least)16 bit registers -AVR/MIPS style RISC instruction set -good free crosscompiler (gcc etc) -at least 1 MByte of addressable memory -easily available in single quantities -no cooler needed

Any such beast?

--
                                   Andreas
He screamed: THIS IS SIG!

You won't find anything in that package (although I guess you could dig up an old 68000)

I would suggest one of the arm variants. The Cirrus logic maverick series are quite nice, and come in a QFP package that is reasonably friendly. It's ARM based, with a couple of Uarts, ether net, timers etc. Basically uC with a big external bus that can drive SDRAM or Sram or flash etc.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Mason

An NEC V25+ comes very close. It's available in a PLCC package that's easily adapted to wirewrap, just put it in a throughhole socket and put the socket in a PGA wirewrap socket.

I can say with much experience that it will work quite happily on a wirewrap board and is very forgiving of mistakes. It also can be configured to have enough internal ram available for a stack. You can (and I have) built a board with nothing more than the V25, a 74HC14 for RS232 level converters and reset generator, a crystal, an eprom, and a few pullups and bypass capacitors. On this you can get a monitor running.

The part has an external memory I/O bus that is very easy to interface to.

Now the downside:

10-12Mhz max clock, (good for wirewrap) x86 CISC instruction set End-of-life in about a year

If you are interested and can't find the part through distribution, I'm sure we could sell you a few.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Why not a good old 68000, 68010 or one of their derivatives? (There are microcontrollers based on a 68k core)

Reply to
Guillaume

Have you looked at Ubicom IP2K/3K ?

NN

Reply to
Nick

Hmm... i couldn't find online specs, manuals, or online shops which offer it. Seems to be hard nowadays to get anything but desktop CPUs as a hobby developer.

Never hoped for more :-)

Well, i don't like it, but at least thats the IS i know the best ;-) Any chance of building any (partialy) DOS-compatible box with it?

Oops.

--
                                   Andreas
He screamed: THIS IS SIG!

Looks more like a microcontroller. IP2K seems to be limited to only a few KB of internal memory;although it runs at up to 100 MIPS and can run code in its RAM (AVRs can't).

Still, i think, i should try a "real" CPU :-)

--
                                   Andreas
He screamed: THIS IS SIG!

Try with the Rabbit microprocessor

It has a "modern" package, but you can find very small and cheap modules with plenty of RAM and Flash memory and connectors easy to manage.

It is an 8 bit microprocessor, but the performances seem to be not so bad.

Patrick

Reply to
patrickdeclerk

Andreas Koch wrote in news:bf43mo$c1v$07$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t- online.com:

The instruction set is wrong, but would the Zilog Z180 fit the bill? I've never used it, but it looks like there could be a lot going for it - especially for embedded systems. They seem to be available in "proper", "solderable-with-poor-eyesight" DIP packages too!

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini info.

F99208B49B8072BD402EFEDD Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Andreas Koch scribbled:

You just described the 65816 microprocessor, produced by The Western Design Center and California Micro Devices.

Information regarding development tools and info (cross assemblers and cross-compliers, code examples, etc.) can be found at

Please note that as of 25 JUL 2003, 3:29 PM EST (US), the
website is undergoing a bit of construction and re-organization, and some areas may not be accessible.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

RoyalHeart

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "Thou hast to learn from Yesterday, but live for Today, and look forward to Tomorrow, for The Past is The Present, and no less The Future."

Reply to
RoyalHeart