serial protocol analyzer for 921Kbps?

Hi All,

I'm working on a custom device and need to monitor serial data between a CPU and an FPGA at 921KBps. Can anyone recommend a PC program that could do this? I need to monitor both the TX and RX lines at the same time.

Thanks, Sean

Reply to
sean

IMHO, that is far too fast for any PC (especially with Windows in).

You'll need some hardware buffering anyway, e.g. a logic analyzer.

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

While you can't do it with the built-in 16450 UARTs, there are plenty of serial boards for PC's that will handle 921K bps. To monitor both Rx and Tx, you'll need a board with at least two serial ports on it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  If you STAY in China,
                                  at               I'll give you 4,000 BUSHELS
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

There has been a number of threads that deal with this topic in this very group. A little work with Google found me reports of a program by Hong Chen in VC++ (source available) posted July 20th 2001.

Message ID=

I'll offer no comment on suitability as I don't program in that language. I could probably point you at some Forth code to do something very similar.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

What is the interface between the CPU and the FPGA? Is it real RS-232 signal levels or TTL levels? Is the CPU and FPGA on the same board? Is there a connector between them or do the signals need to be tapped right from the board? These things are important to note in figuring out what will work for you.

Patrick ========= For LAN/WAN Protocol Analysis, check out PacketView Pro! ========= Patrick Klos Email: snipped-for-privacy@klos.com Klos Technologies, Inc. Web:

====================
====================

Reply to
Patrick Klos

Is KBps Bytes/sec or bits per second?

Tap into the line and have a small PIC or AVR device listen in and do the conversion. If it isn't continuous 921KBps, then just convert it to serial RS232 that is PC compatible and use a RAM buffer to handle the speed. If it is continuous, than add an FTDIchip device. Their DLL's will support 1Megabyte/second.

If you don't want to develop a tool, then buy a USB logic analyzer for about $500 and write software to parse those logic states.

The Hong Chen July 20, 2001 link on "Serial port data sniffer" was suggested but is no longer available. If you dod a google search on "Serial port sniffer", the links are largerly RS232 limited to 115.3 Kbaud with some as high as 256000.

Quatech.com has a PCI board that they say will support speeds to

921.6 kbps
AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43

Bits.

What conversion?

It's a lot easier to plug in a serial board that support 921K. There are at least a half-dozen companies that make them (among them, my ex-employer (Comtrol). A two port uPCI board that supports 921K retails for $350:

If you want more ports pick one of the boards with 4 or 8 ports. All of the boards on the page above support 921K.

You'll have to wire up some high-speed RS-232 drivers to convert to/from the logic levels on the board in question.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  HELLO KITTY gang
                                  at               terrorizes town, family
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Conversion from 921 KBps to 115.3 Kbaud,...or anything that is supported directly on the PC without additional hardware.

Sure. Off the shelf is the fastest solution.

Reply to
AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43

Well, that assumes the duty cycle on the 921K side is less that 10%.

And unless you work for pennies an hour, probably also the cheapest.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are you guys lined up
                                  at               for the METHADONE PROGRAM