Serial Port Emulation

at's not useful to anyone else unless you explain why.

and I believe they have some level of assurance these units will continue t o be available.

That makes no sense to me. If they make board intended for commercial use, then why not talk about those?

Sure, if you limit your discussion to boards that are not intended for comm ercial use... they aren't likely going to be a perfect match to a commercia l application.

How is that different from most embedded, Linux CPU boards? Beagle Bone is pretty much the same in this regard.

That's not in evidence. All but the first rPi have mounting holes.

Absolutely no evidence to support any of this... especially the "cheaply" p art!

Simply not true. I can buy 4600 of the rPi 3A+ off the shelf.

I don't get why you think this is such a poor device for embedded work. No ne of the above is valid.

??? I don't think you work with electronics much.

You aren't talking about the rPi. You are talking about Linux computers in general. Yes, if you don't want a Linux computer, then a Linux computer i s a bad choice.

The only real difference between the rPi 3B+ or rPi 3A+ and the compute uni t is that the compute unit needs more stuff on the mother board.

capable.

That is not a useful issue. The issue is whether you can get Ethernet or n ot. The answer is you can use Ethernet in pretty much any app you wish bec ause you can buy a chip or board with networking across the range of sizes of MCUs/CPUs other than the smallest that get used in toasters and microwav es.

You can stand anywhere you want. You just contradicted yourself.

rface.

Ok, so what is your point?

No shoe fits every foot. Of course.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

What "fast" changes??? They have stopped producing the earliest version, but you can still buy the Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ and A+ along with pin compatible update units.

Normally people don't worry about buying a standard configuration and adding I/O. Needing to change the CPU board is not often needed and is very limiting for most commercial units, not just the rPi.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I think he mentioned 10+ years. The usual retailers don't stock the pi-1 any more but it's interesting that the Pi-1 if it's still available someplace.

I can understand wanting to make a product with a single board (cpu and any needed ports and peripherals on the same board) instead of multiple boards or modules plugged together.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

All I can say is that a Pi makes a fine terminal server. Whether it's appropriate for deployed systems is up to you. I'd much rather use a Pi for field debugging rather than be tied to a serial cable's length from the DUT.

Then you have to do something else, and it'll probably have to be a fully supported, costed and tracked set of circuit packs along with the associated soft deliverables.

And it'll rot like beef in the summer sun as soon as the budget gets cut.

Underspeccing the I/O capability of a target made a lot more sense 30 years ago than it does now.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Oh, to be sure - a straight Pi isn't fit for most uses. I did do an experiment where a vanilla Cubie board ran in an extremely harsh environment for over a year :) it wasn't a purely intentional experiment - the Cubie was placeholder while the "real board" was being developed and somebody forgot to upgrade it. Indeed, it should not have been deployed outside of test at all.

Even worse for the Pi is that the Ethernet hangs off the USB bus and eats a lot of USB bandwidth, if that's a consideration.

What I mean by my statement is that there usually exists a comparable member of a family or another family close to the one without Ethernet for a little additional monetary cost.

Ann it may be that a Pi makes a nice addition to field kit complete with specialized software. I had a long-term J1939 logger based on a Pi that worked great - at the other end of a WiFi link was a PC that did all the actual logging.

Far enough. We have to decide what the tradeoffs need to be.

IMO, 8 or 16 bit devices should have a lot smaller software footprint and darn near be fully testable ( if you have the schedule for it ).

That doesn't mean zero defects but it means greatly reduced defects.

Fair enough.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to