Serial Port Bridging Emulator

I'm working to improve a test program for the hardware I use to test some b oards I make. These boards are tested using a test fixture controlled over an RS-232 port from the PC. So I don't need to lug hardware around with m e I emulate the test fixture on the same PC I run the test program. I need comm port emulation software that will emulate a bridge between two serial ports to connect the test program and the test fixture emulator.

One I've been using is called, oddly enough, "Free Virtual Serial Ports". It is free to use, but only in a limited configuration which will do the jo b, but just barely. I have also noticed that if my programs are not closed properly (or some other cause) this bridge software will hang one of the p orts.

I don't want to emulate the serial port connection in my test fixture emula tor because if I take the program down a lot while testing, I will have to continually restart both the test program and the emulator program. There are a few initialization steps that become tedious after doing them a few d ozen times.

Is there serial port bridge software that works well and is not expensive?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Get a Ras Pi and use a real port connection and perform real tests.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes.

Linux.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Reply to
bitrex

So I need to use serial port hardware to connect Windows COM1 to a tty serial port in Linux, tie that port to a second Linux tty serial port which then connects by hardware to COM2 in Windows.

Yep, sounds pretty good. So do I run Windows in a VM under Linux or run Linux in a VM under Windows?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Any way you like. PTY (Pseudo-TTY) devices have been around in *nix since the 1980s. The world has mostly moved on, but we still have many hostages to rescue.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

me boards I make. These boards are tested using a test fixture controlled over an RS-232 port from the PC. So I don't need to lug hardware around wi th me I emulate the test fixture on the same PC I run the test program. I need comm port emulation software that will emulate a bridge between two se rial ports to connect the test program and the test fixture emulator.

". It is free to use, but only in a limited configuration which will do th e job, but just barely. I have also noticed that if my programs are not cl osed properly (or some other cause) this bridge software will hang one of t he ports.

mulator because if I take the program down a lot while testing, I will have to continually restart both the test program and the emulator program. Th ere are a few initialization steps that become tedious after doing them a f ew dozen times.

ve?

Thanks, that seems like a possibility. It's roots in Unix seem to make it a bit harder to understand than I was hoping for but I might give it a try when I get back to this later in the weeks.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

some boards I make. These boards are tested using a test fixture controlle d over an RS-232 port from the PC. So I don't need to lug hardware around with me I emulate the test fixture on the same PC I run the test program. I need comm port emulation software that will emulate a bridge between two serial ports to connect the test program and the test fixture emulator.

ts". It is free to use, but only in a limited configuration which will do the job, but just barely. I have also noticed that if my programs are not closed properly (or some other cause) this bridge software will hang one of the ports.

emulator because if I take the program down a lot while testing, I will ha ve to continually restart both the test program and the emulator program. There are a few initialization steps that become tedious after doing them a few dozen times.

sive?

Someone in another group suggested com0com which I now recall from doing si milar work some years ago on a desktop. I downloaded it and it seems to wo rk ok. Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Do you?

Details you should have mentioned at the start.

Jasen Betts

You came to the conversation a bit late?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit