Serial communication capture

I need to capture serial communications to a legacy printer (no driver or documentation exists) in order to be able to reconstruct and use it in a new system. Any utilities good for doing this?

Thanks

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

I forgot to add that I need to capture this from the "wires" i.e. from the actual serial line (and not from a PC port capture as it is connected to some embedded unit).

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

Do you want a hidden serial catpure device or will two serial ports on a PC work ??

Or is it more covert that that ??

:-)

Reply to
Donald

He he :-) No, nothing hidden... I can tap in to the cable in broad daylight....

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

I use and old program called DLM (data line monitor) which uses two serial ports on a DOS PC; you can grab it from our ftp site:

ftp://ftp.cybertheque.org/pub/tmp/dlm

Regards,

Michael Grigoni Cybertheque Museum

Reply to
msg

There are a pair of serial download/upload utilities on my site at:

H/w and s/w handshaking supported. (Although it sounds like you'll have to wing it if you're piggybacking.)

They're kinda old, though, and designed for DOS. Not tried them in a DOS window under Windows... might do better with a DOS boot.

HTH,

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Within five minutes of posting this URL we've been under attack from 218.1.65.196; heads up to 'Steve at fivetrees' and anyone else who exposes their sites.

Regards,

Michael Grigoni Cybertheque Museum

Reply to
msg

Thanks. But I'm used to it. My fivetrees servers are under constant attack. We host some fairly big names...

However, it worries me not. Running OpenBSD... They've been there 7 years so far, and no worries.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

OpenBSD here also for our border router, SIP router, and ftp server. The Chinese IP mounted a DoS attack against the ftp server; perhaps they have a bot harvesting URLs from newsgroups or do you suppose a human would waste time doing this?

Michael

Reply to
msg

Hi,

I have used Docklight....

It can capture both the Rx and Tx serial lines simultanously.

Regards Jens

"ElderUberGeek" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jens Gydesen

Not sure. I *do* know (from the logs) that the attacks I see are mostly scripted, and clearly shared amongst a group of people online - or else using the same script on zombie machines. I sometimes get the impression there's a bunch of script kiddies on an IRC channel somewhere sharing attack vectors...

Re DoS attacks: my servers are coloco'ed on a phat pipe (;)), so these attacks worry me less than if I were on the end of a bandwidth-limited feed...

In any case, if you're running OpenBSD, and you've set things up sensibly (which I'm sure you have), I wouldn't worry too much ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees