sections got2 and fixup in linker script

Hi,

can anyone explain me where the sections .got2 and .fixup are used for in a linker script ? I can't seem to find information about it.

Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dmz2.imec.be:

got2 sounds like a Global Offset Table of some sort and fixup sounds like, well, like a fix up section. I'd guess these are used for PIC or PID, position independent code or data. Since this is *extremely* linker specific, why not tell us which linker and what the linker manual says about sections?

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

I am using the gnu ld linker with a virtex II pro fpga. The documentation of the linker doesn't say anything on the different sections that can be defined.

I am using the embedded development kit from xilinx. It says that the sections .got2 and .fixup must be included otherwise it generates an error:

/xygdrive/d/EDK6.1/gnu/powerpc-eabi/nt/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-eabi/2.95.

3-4/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld: warning: no memory region specified for section `.got2'

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dmz2.imec.be:

Since it is Gnu ld it is well documented in the binutils docs. I'd start here:

I'm afraid a few days of linker script learning are in your future.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

Ok, but the problem is not the linker script. I just can't seem to find information on those got2 and fixup sections...

Tom

Reply to
Tom