scanning barcode, distance <10mm

hello,
i'm lost on this... (novice in barcode, wrong keywords?)

- pharmaceutical device using ampoules
- ampoules have a barcode identifying the charge (stationary object)
- need a _small_ barcode sensor? reader? ccd based? laser something?
board? chip? to integrate in the device (atmel based)
- distance to object is 5-10mm
- barcode encoding doesn't matter

the closest i came up with is symbol.com, but its no fit

please help!

thank you

lutz

Re: scanning barcode, distance <10mm

You might find a few useful links in here
http://barcodebarcode.com/scanners.htm

Peter

Re: scanning barcode, distance <10mm
Intermec has several CCD scanners, and scan engines,
though I'm not sure if they would fit your bill.

#disclaimer: I happen to work for them.  ;-)

Re: scanning barcode, distance <10mm

You haven't mentioned what your other design criteria are
(cost, size, power consumption, development time, how
the labels are expected to be scanned, label size, etc.).

I've used integrated emitter-detectors from HP in the
past (HEDS-1000, e.g.) quite successfully (though I
am no longer sure that "HP" makes *any* components...)

With a little bit of signal conditioning (buffer and window
comparator, etc.) you'll end up with a "video" signal that
represents the "light/dark" nature of the item passing through
the detector's focus.  It is a simple matter to time the
interval between successive black-to-white/white-to-black
transitions and, from that, deduce the relative widths of
the bars/spaces -- which ultimately allows you to decode the
symbol.  Especially if you are free to pick the code used,
character density, data encoding scheme, etc.

Take a quick peek at:

http://www.gci-net.com/users/a/auryn/Barcode/Barcode%20Terminology.pdf

Apologies if the URL gets mangled... MS's tools like to screw up
embedded spaces  :-(   The file name should be "Barcode Terminology.pdf"
(I should just remove the space and be done with it!  :>  )

Site Timeline