RTOS

Is there an option besides QNX if I want to run a real-time operating system? I want to be able to use managed code, has anyone found more detailed informaiton on the .net microframework?

Thanx

Reply to
sandra.bassiterra

Certainly there are other options than QNX. To name some: VxWorks, ThreadX, FreeRTOS, RTEMS, uC/OS, Nucleus, ...

You need to be a bit more specific in your requirements. My impression of "managed code" would not be favorable to placing it in a hard real-time system.

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

hi, this is meghna, presently working as an embedded system programmer. i want to shift my base to RTOS...so was planning to undergo a training. i passed out in 2004...m having nearly 2.5 yrs of work exp. is it wise to undergo ar RTOS training at this point my career? was planning to go in for QNX RTOS....how diff is it from VXWorks...is it globally accepted. regards, meghna (09828810526) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
meghna.agrawal8

...and you have only just woken up again? What were you drinking, and is it available in the UK?

Regards, Richard.

    for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC .... and soon AVR32
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Not enough info to answer, so some questions:

1) What CPU/uC do you use ? 2) How hard is your real-time (compared with the cycle time of (1) 3) Are you willing to pay for it ? 4) Do you want to port code from QNX to xxx ? 5) Did you do a google search for RTOS, if not, do so.
--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Writing a pre-emptive scheduler (=RTOS) is not very hard and anyone familiar with a particular architecture might write one after a boring night in the town, but of course no-one would admit it :-).

However, after looking at some of these implementations, that would not be a big surprise.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

You raise two questions, not often asked together: Realtime and Managed code

Real Time- Believe it or not, Windows CE is real time by most definitions. IF you want to see some benchmarks, go to

Managed code is another issue- great for 24x7 systems- which are often real time. In general, managed code is a no-no for real time because the GC can break in and interrupt the process at any time. Interestingly, you can see some benchmarks on the above page where C# proved to be remarkably real time. The Case Study for Greer gives you an example of CE, managed code all in real time.

No all MS managed code is real time- for example the new Micro Framework is DEFINITELY not real time, I have some links on my web page below. Any questions- please SMS me at

4108044290_AT_teleflip.com; I will get right back.

Lawrence Ricci Consultant to Industry

410-804-4290
Reply to
ID

Then it must be highly unreliable :-)

By current definitions of realtime, the process must be executed in the specified time, otherwise, the system is faulty.

The 1960's airline ticket reservation system was realtime, unless

  • the plane left empty, because all tickets could not be written in time
  • the reservation desk queue becomes so long that many customers switch queue to a competitor
  • the reservation takes so long that the customer hangs up the phone and calls the reservation desk of the competitor

For instance Win9x can be realtime if the deadline is longer than the boot time and the system performs the operation without a fault after a single reboot.

On other applications, the system is not realtime, if it for instance drops a video frame or drops an audio or video sample or the audio/video lip synch is lost.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen