Routing signals under crystals

I think you're correct in that the EMI occurs on the power supply lines, rather than in the chip itself. I've taken the usual steps---decoupling to the ground plane etc. I've also used a separate linear regulator for the SD card power.

When writing, the SD card seems to draw >50mA for microseconds at a time---it's difficult to tell exactly as the bandwidth of my current sensor isn't that high and the current pulses are (I hope) modified by the regulator and bypass capacitors.

I wonder if the noise relates directly to the current demands of the flash memory's charge pump that generates the programming voltage. When I get time, I'll take my RF sniffer (an old portable radio) and see if there's a significant difference in EMI between reads and writes.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

How do you know where it's coming from? Do you have screen rooms, antennae, spectrum analyzers, etc., like FCC testing centers do?

--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs

Lol, if you have EMI, you fix the board and it goes away, that shows it wasn't the chip... Same with the SD card. Replace the SD card with a different brand and the EMI should change or go away.

--

Rick
Reply to

Sure. But remember all those funny interactions you were talking about?

--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Reply to
Randy Yates

No, I don't. The point is that if the chip were faulty you would not be able to fix it in the board. If you can design a board that limits the EMI of the design, then by definition the problem is not the chip.

Are you suggesting that the board could be designed in a way that it creates EMI that emanates from the chip? My point is that the chip or SD card can be used in a design so that doesn't generate EMI or the chip generates EMI no matter what you do. I don't really care what ends up being the antenna because that is a pointless distinction.

--

Rick
Reply to