Removing J2 from CompactPCI Board

Is there any reason why removing the J2 connector from a CompactPCI board should not be done?

I am concern with introducing unreliability to the operating system (FreeBSD). I have messed with the hardware on a fundamental level. The system is running fine but I don't know the consequences of ripping off that J2 connector. I would guess that the absence of the connector at J2 would be the same to an operating system as not having any 64 bit PCI peripherals on the backplane so I went for it.

I do not use the PCI bus on the backplane for peripherals. I have nothing but CPU boards in my chassis. I had a spare system master board (ZT5531) that I wanted to add to the backplane but it wouldn't work with the existing system master. Presumably there was a conflict for bus arbitration or clock signaling.

I am not an electrical engineer or a computer scientist. Feel free to snicker. :)

Later, Jason C. Wells

Reply to
Jason C. Wells