Re: Some questions on embedded systems

> I am fairly new to embedded systems programming, although I have a > programming background (C/C++/Java) along with an electronics > background. > > I am looking to get started on small home projects, where I can > control electrical appliances or some other devices using a PC and/or > a microprocessor board.

and
may be of interest.

--
Don McKenzie  E-mail:    http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
              Home Page: http://www.dontronics.com

Add USB to your favorite Micro.      http://www.dontronics.com/dlp.html
The World's Largest Range of Atmel/AVR & PICmicro Hardware and Software
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I can highly recommend Don's AVR dev boards. They are well priced and he gives great service. His web pages are good places to start. As you have some C programming experience, you could use (for programming AVR's); AVRGCC

or Imagecraft
as your cross compilers.

For java you could look at The Javelin Stamp

or JStamp

For an overview on microcontrollers (if you require one), start with

I found good tutorials at

If you like learning from books, look for ones by Myke Predko (a personal favourite), Claus Kuhnel,& John Morton.

Not to mention the vast amount of resources that can be found on the net.

Regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul Howard

Thanks Don and Paul for your inputs. I hope to get started very soon!

-- RBK.

Reply to
RBK

Java Micor Edition is confusing collection (about on dozen) of Java subsets definition by Sun. It started out for embedded devices and no is VERY focused on mobil phones.

The restrictions of Java are two fold: The JVM (Java Virtual Machine) does not have to support all language features (e.g. no floationg point or in the Java Card definition you can even drop support for (32-bit) int). The second restriction is the reduction of the (large) class library. In standard Java the library is part of the language definition (for this 'write once, debug anywhere'), but you probaly don't need Swing support on an embedded device.

But as stated above: The definitions of Sun are not perfect for embedded devices. Best starting place would be CLDC 1.0.

Martin

---------------------------------------------- JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:

Martin Schoeberl