Re. [OT] -- Voice for Stroke Victims

> My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming

> > back to us, but it's > > affected her severely and she'll probably never regain > > her speech. > > > > My mother was visiting her the other day and > > noticed that she's quite > > good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the > > fact that my aunt seems to > > be fine at understanding people made her > > wonder if anyone makes a > > remote-sized thingie with a button to say > > "yes" and a button to say > > "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly > > amused by a third button to > > say "You $#%@!". > > > > This seems like an obvious thing to have available, > > yet I cannot find > > anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie, > > or have any suggestions > > on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo > > cough up a pertinent web > > site?

How do they know that she's "fine at understanding people", unless she is able to 'communicate', if they don't use a MRI ?!

How do you think deaf and dumb people communicate ? If she wants to communicate with me she can nod or wink, and we won't have to be insolated by some electrogadget.

Or is she isolated > Many years ago my father (a professional musician) had a heart attack

followed by a stroke and lost all speech (though he could still play > instruments); through speech therapy he regained his speech so well > (I suppose it took a year) as to be able to speak in public fluently, > without stuttering or anything. Of course strokes vary enormously in > their impact, and there can never be guarantees, but I have a great > respect for the body's ability to rebuild itself given enough focussed > attention; I would say get speech therapy on board as soon as possible > and not give up on the possibility of substantial improvement, if not > necessarily a full recovery, too soon.

Yes it's very complex & beyond an electric gadget solution. Some years back, I woke up with double vision. I knew that I'd had a mini-stroke. It's called ap...ia. Fortunately a friend who's a few years older had similar which slowly recovered after 3 months. Because I'm in S.Africa where the med-services are collapsing I did self-med with inet help and brought my cholesterol down, which probably had caused it, by cabbage soup & cheap tinned-fish. I could notice the improvement while I was doing eye exercises.

== Chris Glur.

Reply to
no-top