RE: has anyone on the group implemented TLS authentication for SMTP servers?

All:

Before I embark on another RFC studying jag, may I ask the group if there is any experience out there with embedded devices sending email through SMTP servers that require other than plain-text authentication?

I have a product that sends email exception messages out and it is getting harder every day to set it up on coustomer's sites without this level of SMTP authentication.

Has anyone got this all working well in their embedded product?

Is there any code out there anyone can point me at that I can study or purchase?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Reply to
Chris_99

I know of no servers that require anything more than plain-text authentication. However, bear in mind that there is no guarantee of delivery. Besides the normal errors, such things as bans against servers exist, due to their apparent lack of control of spam. This may not be suitable for exception messages.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Chuck: thanks for you answer.

I have a product that sends exception emails presently. I can't imagine what other exception method can reach cell phones and any computer around the world like email does.

We are having a tough time helping our customers set up these systems to provide exceptions with only 'no auth' and 'plain-text auth'. It seems that more and more the SMTP servers are going to TLS. 3 months ago my web hosting ISP changed their SMTP server to AUTH-MD5 so I can't send exceptions through there anymore. My main customer is unable to relay email out of house because my device does not support encrypted auth.

A big reason for implementing TLS auth is so that I can use the non-banned SMTP servers. It is 'socially' critical to use 'well-known' SMTP servers so that your email doesn't vaporize. At least that is how it looks

***How is anyone else providing exception reporting?

phone calls? bat signal in the sky?

I think I'm stuck with email.

Chris

Reply to
Chris_99

Chris_99 escribió:

SMS

Reply to
Ignacio G.T.

There are companies that provide SMTP relay services. You can setup a local Linux box with an SMTP server that uses plain-text authentication. You then relay via one of these SMTP relay services.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Anton:

great idea for industry trade shows, but I would need one of these at every site, or at a site that all the devices scattered around the world can see (via VPN or whatever). Certain customers, this would work for (having a non-public plain-text SMTP server pointing at a public server), other customers, especially small ones, would not have this extended intranet.

Thanks!

Chris

Reply to
Chris_99