Re: gsm modems?

is there anyone who knows if and where are available all detailed specs

>on order to be able to use standard cell phones as gsm modem? I use >telital modules in embeddeded applications but I know for sure eicsson's >phones are feasible for the same purpose. piero

I think you need the GSM / ETSI 07.07 and 07.05 specifications --- these describe the AT command set that many GSM devices implement. (Phones usually have some proprietary extensions as well, check for docs from Ericsson, I guess.) They're available publically on the net somewhere or other.

I don't think there's much of a standard for how you get a serial connection to the phone in the first place so that you can issue those commands, though. Newer ones might use a USB modem class or Bluetooth serial port profile, older ones probably have ttl-level async serial on some wacky connector, or an IrDA port.

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
  "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." -Hegel