Programming AVR from ARM using CAN Bus interface

Hello to all,

I'm looking since many days something about my problem without fin nothing interesting so I'm going to post it.

I have a system of 4 different closed boxes: the Main box based on a Linux ARM9 processor with a static IP and the A, B and C boxes each on based on an AT90CAN128 microprocessor.

The 4 boxes are connected all toghether with CAN-BUS.

Let's say... my system is located in USA and I'm in Italy.

I can connect to my system with TCP/IP.

My scope is to reprogram the 3 AVR uP from Italy. So I have to put a CA booloader on the 3 AVRs (naturally with JTAG and before send the system i USA).

Than I can telnet from Italy the Main box, transfer the new 3 hex files o it and than using CAN Bus upload the AVRs firmware.

So I need both the CAN Bootloader for AVRs and a script for the ARM t download the hex file into AVR flash memory. I had a look of those codes on the net but I didn?t find too much. The only interesting thing is Flip tool by ATmel but is just works wit x86 architecture and not support CAN Bus.

Any example code for my purpose? Any suggestion?

Just for information, the Main box is this boar

wit the TS-CAN1 module.

Many thanks to all, Daniele

Reply to
pidy

If you can decide for using CANopen as a higher layer protocol, implement a bootloader understanding the SDO domain transfer on the AVRs and put an CANopen implementation on your ARM9 linux. That's it.

Heinz

Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

one

CAN

in

on

with

with

What You mean for SDO domain? and what is it CANopen??

Thanks, Daniele

Reply to
pidy

CANopen is a protocol which uses CAN as Data Link Layer. It defines for example things that are not possible with CAN. CAN frames can transport in maximum 8 bytes. CANopen has a definition for a larger data stream, which is called 'domain'. SDO means 'Service Data Object', which is a special kind of point to point client server communication. Please look at

Heinz

Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel