Private key selection

Dear everybody,

I'm a newbye in the smart-card world and I would like to submit you the following problem.

Using a STARTCOS SPK 2.3 smart-card I have to build up a procedure to generate the digital signature. I can't use any PKCS #11 library since I have to do the job on an embedded system. I have written the code to handle the ISO7816-3 specification and I'm able to send/receive APDUs to/from the smart-card.

The card contains up to four private/public keys pairs which refer to one cardholder X.509 cert. Since the certificate can be renews up to four times, I imagine that for each renew the private key to reference to calculate the digital signature changes. My big question is: how can I know which is the right private key to reference ?

I have read something about the CKA_ID attribute usage, but I'm a little bit confuse about its usage.

I need only to know the main steps to follow and optionally some links to documents or examples where I can teach how to perform this job.

Best Regards

/Alessandro

Reply to
alessandro.strazzero