Please help me select an appropriate processor

Okay, thanks. I had no idea, given my experience with the AT90S2313. Too bad Atmel charges so much. Have you used the one from Olimex? Do you recall how much it is? (I like the fact that the TI parallel dongle things are cheap and that Cygnal's are also cheap -- both are extremely convenient to use with their software, as well.)

I've actually programmed two commercial products with the AVRs and a few hobby things with them, all in assembly. It's just fine (mostly.) I liked it a lot.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Yes, the original design used a 7447 along with transistors to drive multiplexed common-anode digits.

Reply to
Rapscallion

bad

Isn't that called "progress" ?

To confuse matters, Atmel also have avr chips using a one-wire debug port. It makes sense on the small chips, where you don't want to waste 4 pins on debugging, but it means buying new expensive tools.

and

their

I haven't tried it, but I've heard they work fine. Olimex also do very cheap TI msp430 parallel dongles - much cheaper than the "official" TI ones. We recently got a bunch of them, although I don't think anyone at the office has actually tried them yet.

as

8-bitters).

hobby

lot.

Reply to
David Brown

Suggest you lose that dinosaur. You can easily make your whole circuit (including the 3-digit display) draw less current than just the supply current of the 7447. You can use 7 or 8 outputs to drive the segments and either drive the digits directly or use transistors for more current/brightness.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Exactly.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

In article , Rapscallion writes

Philips PLC900 series... they are 8051 of course. from 8 pin dip upwards. Internal clock (no xtal) and flash.

Lots of free/inexpensive 8051 assemblers about (even got one on m,y web site). If you can do it in a small amount there are eval versions of the commercial compilers/ assemblers about (with simulators). eg Keil, IAR, Altium/Tasking etc

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

Have you considered the Atmel AVR Tiny series? They come with little to no memory, except for 32 GP registers, some have the timers and other usual peripherals, and cost around 28 cents apiece, at least last time I tried to purchase one.

Reply to
George

Since you have the code in Z8 already, then look at the Z8 XP family.

These are new, but just getting to a 'sensible' level of errata, and have an interesting LED current drive mode on the Ports, so you can ditch the 7447, and any series resistors.

See

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

won't

about

I don't think I missed it at all :-) Proper JTAG seems rare, but most mfg. have some kind of in circuit solution:

PIC ICD2 will do what you need and is pretty inexpensive.

newer AVRs have a JTAG option or a one-wire bus

Freescale uses a one-wire debug interface

ST stuff uses some other proprietary thing

These are just the ones I know come in some kind of DIP pkg. If you're willing to buy or make an SMT to DIP adapter, there's a ton of stuff out there - just don't ask for 5V tolerance these days...

some links:

Andrew Dyer