PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?

I've got those embedded-engineer-on-a-consumer PC blues...

My work desktop PC is a HP d220MT (DG266A). This has one parallel port, which is locked in ECP mode. There are no BIOS options to select SPP or EPP modes. I've got at least one, maybe more ICEs that won't work on ECP ports.

MIS bought a PCI card based on the NM9805 chip, which DOES support SPP mode, but:

a) ONLY the DOS drivers let you select SPP mode. I'm forced to run WinXP on this machine, so I'm locked in ECP mode, and

b) The card mounts at an unusual I/O address (C400H I think). The emulator software only works on the three standard addresses of 378,

278, 3BC.

Can someone recommend me a PCI add-in card that (a) can be forced into one of the standard port addresses, and (b) supports SPP or at worst EPP under WinXP?

Replacing the PC is not an option either :( This is a bureaucracy thing; I can spend $500 on the parallel port card, if necessary, but not $200 on a new computer.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

This is normal for PCI cards.

I know that some PCI parallel ports supports legacy remapping. However, i dont remember a specific brand.

Well, how about spending the money on an ICE that has USB or Ehternet instead?

Leo Havmøller.

Reply to
Leo Havmøller

There's an option for it in the driver for this particular card, but it does nothing (apparently).

Not possible for these damn godawful mask-ROM Japanese single-source poorly-supported semi-documented parts. It took me two solid 9-hour days of effort (and conversations with "support") just to get the flash version of the part to program.

Reply to
Lewin Edwards

How about an ISA printer card? I am sure you can pick one up from your local junk store or garage sale. That's assuming your PC can use ISA card, which might be wishful thinking anyway.

Reply to
Linnix

No ISA in these machines... they are just too modern for any embedded development. *sigh*

Reply to
Lewin Edwards

First questions must be - which ICE do you use? - Does the specific software/drivers of your ICE allow a memory remapping?

regards Laurent Gauch

Amontec Team

Hi,

This is a problem that I encountered a long while back. I blew some pins on the built in parallel port of my motherboard, I could only put a PCI card into the machine. WinXP and all NT based operating systems don't give access to how the ports are mapped, you just have to use that address, NT ops allocate the addresses to what is available at the time of loading.

I did wonder if it was possible to write a parallel port kernel driver to re-map for me but, I thought that the time it would take and the effort was not something I'd liked to have entered into at the time. Maybe someone with more NT kernel expertice could give some information on how viable this would be.

Win98 does, I contacted the chip manufacturer of the NM9805 and they gave me quite a bit of info, they also had a better driver than the one shipped with the card that did map the card to a more standard parallel port address, but as I say this works on Win98 only.

We got a new updated DLL for our applications to support such non-standard address, which has worked fine for us. Tviclpt 1.3 has this support.

This does not help your predicament though, but have you tried to contact the ICE manufacturer to get them to add a box to the parallel port dialog or something to allow you to change the port address by hand, this would at least make it usable.

Bryan

Reply to
BryanW